Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason Espin 368 posts 1335 karma points
    Jun 16, 2014 @ 10:22
    Jason Espin

Deploying an Umbraco site using Visual Studio

Hi all,

I'm almost finished with my first Umbraco site and i've been looking thorugh these forums to try and find a definitive guide as to how to publish an Umbraco site to a live staging area however, as I have found so far, such a guide does not exist. In particular, I am interested in how an Umbraco site developed using Visual Studio can be deployed and which folders can be removed/streamlined for a production environment. I am using the latest version of Umbraco and a SQL CE database.

I'm happy to use FTP to upload the site to the server if that is an option but I also want to ensure that my site has the basic level of out of the box Umbraco security so I am assuming things like the installation directory should be removed.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am using Visual Studio 2013. This may be a simple question but there really should be a definitive guide for new users as some like myself may have never deployed a .Net site before (I've only ever worked with Apache).

• Greg D'Abate 10 posts 56 karma points
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 17:09
    Greg D'Abate

I find myself in the same boat as Jason.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Jason Espin 368 posts 1335 karma points
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 17:55
    Jason Espin

I raised the same question here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24239781/deploying-an-umbraco-site-using-visual-studio/24261077?noredirect=1#comment37486870_24261077

I tried what the guy mentioned and it seems to work fine deploying to the filesystem and then running using WebMatrix which should simulate a real server. It should be as simple as uploading the published folder via FTP to the staging server and it should then work. Visual studio seems to take care of all of the folder and file removals that are needed.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft