Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason 86 posts 156 karma points
    Jun 16, 2014 @ 13:44
    Jason

Recent upgrade caused loss of navigation

Good Morning,Our development team recently upgraded our Umraco site (on a test server) from 4.5.2 to 7.1.4.  It looks great with exception that all of the navigation menus have disappeared from the site.Where should I look/start first?  Is this a normal occurance when upgrading?  If anyone has experienced this before I would appreciate any guidance that you could provide.As always, thanks in advance.Here is the location of the test site.  You will see that the upper nav in the header is missing and also the left navigation.Best regards.  http://172.16.30.131:8443/

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 20, 2014 @ 18:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jason

I think it's important to understand that upgrading between major release version (Like from 4 to 6 and 6 to 7) you can't take for granted that it's just straight forward and everything will work out of the box as usual since a lot of things have changed under the hood between the major versions.

One should be aware of the following things

• Does the new major release require some software updates on the server, like for instance updating the .NET framework
    • Are the installed packages compatible with the new version or do they need to be upgraded as well if possible? If not...how are the values converted/saved in another format
    • Has there been any underlying API changes in Umbraco that could affect any custom integration using the Umbraco API
    • Has the use of XSLT / Razor changed between version (Has the view engine changed?)
    • Do you need to refactor some code in order to rendering the views etc.
    • Plus much more I'm probably forgetting while I write this response

So it's worth considering if upgrading directly from v6 to v7 is the way to go fixing missing properties by building some conversion stuff to deal with it or if it's more suitable to think in terms of migrating from v6 to v7 instead.

The reason for the missing navigation could be caused by changes in the umbraco.config XML for instance - However I doubt that's the issue in this case since it's only the way that property data is stored that has changed between 6 and 7.

Perhaps it's just a matter of right clicking the "CONTENT" node in your Umbraco backoffice and selecting "Republish entire site" to update the XML cache that does the trick. If not then it's time for doing some code debugging figuring out what is going on.

Hope this helps - If republishing the entire site does not work then please don't hesitate to write again - Then we can go down another path.

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft