Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Torben Warberg Rohde 35 posts 89 karma points
    Jun 19, 2014 @ 22:36
    Torben Warberg Rohde

Problem when using RenderMacro in template for root node

Hi Umbraco ppl,

I'm experiencing some weird behaviour using @Html.RenderMacro (Umbraco 7.1.2) To get some quick n' dirty caching, I want to wrap all my pages in a RenderMacro call, so I can take advantage of the Per-Page caching.

This means that for each template I have the following elements (example):

Views/Article.cshtml

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoTemplatePage
    @{
        Layout = null;
    }
    @Umbraco.RenderMacro("RenderArticle", CurrentPage)

Views/MacroPartials/ArticleMain.cshtml

(with an associated macro "RenderArticle")

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Macros.PartialViewMacroPage
    @{
        Layout = null;
    }
    [A full razor template]

This works fine for "Article" and a number of other similar templates. However as soon as I attempt this on the root node (the frontpage), I get this error in UmbracoTraceLog.txt:

2014-06-19 21:59:53,192 [66] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - [Thread 51] An unhandled exception occurred System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Property accessor 'parentId' on object 'Umbraco.Web.Models.DynamicPublishedContent' threw the following exception:'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Umbraco.Web.Models.DynamicPublishedContent.getparentId() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.ComponentModel.ReflectPropertyDescriptor.GetValue(Object component) at Umbraco.Core.ObjectExtensions.ToDictionary[TVal](Object o, String[] ignoreProperties) at Umbraco.Web.UmbracoHelper.RenderMacro(String alias, Object parameters) at ASP.PageViewsFrontpagecshtml.Execute() in c:[censored]\wwwumbraco\Views\Frontpage.cshtml:line 16 at System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy() at System.Web.Mvc.WebViewPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() at System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) at System.Web.Mvc.RazorView.RenderView(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer, Object instance) at System.Web.Mvc.BuildManagerCompiledView.Render(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer) at Umbraco.Core.Profiling.ProfilingView.Render(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer) at System.Web.Mvc.ViewResultBase.ExecuteResult(ControllerContext context) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResult(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionResult actionResult) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.<>cDisplayClass1a.17() at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilter(IResultFilter filter, ResultExecutingContext preContext, Func1 continuation) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.<>cDisplayClass1a.<>cDisplayClass1c.

If I create a child node of the exact same type using the exact same template, everything works correctly (so I have a frontpage as a child of frontpage, just for testing). I have stripped all code away from the MacroPartial view, so it simply outputs "test", to rule out problems in the macro view code.

Is this an Umbraco bug, or am I missing something obvious here? If it is a bug, are there any suggested workarounds?

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 20, 2014 @ 09:28
    Jeavon Leopold

Ok, problem is that homepage doesn't have a parentID, can you post your entire articlemain.cshtml?

Also do you know you can cache a partial view directly without using a Macro? See bottom of this doc for details

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft