Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chad 65 posts 129 karma points c-trib
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 03:49
    Chad

Password reset functionality for members

I'm using 7.1 and cannot for the life of me determine how to build this functionality using the standard Umbraco Membership Provider.

Ideally, we'd have users enter their email address, we'd email them a URL with a reset token and then allow them to set their new password.

I've found Warren Buckley's "Umbraco Standard Membership", however that is using API's which are obsolete in 7.1.

Is anyone able to add some guidance here or a point in the right direction?

• Kris Janssen 210 posts 569 karma points c-trib
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 08:57
    Kris Janssen

Hello Chad,

I have started working on getting USM ported to use the new API's. You can find the repo here

You can do things like:

var checkMember = membershipService.GetByEmail(model.EmailAddress);
    checkMember.Properties["numberOfLogins"].Value = noLogins + 1;

However, I am running into my own problems now:

I have placed the views in AuthSurface and ProfileSurface as a subfolder in Views.

All views thus seem to render except that when I use EditProfile and actually try to submit my edits, then I get a

Could not find a Surface controller route in the RouteTable for controller name ProfileSurface

Error.

I really do not understand and the lack of consistent, non-contradictory information is maddening...

Jun 24, 2014 @ 22:11
    Kris Janssen

Hi Chad,

Good news.

After some initial issues getting the stuff to run I' m finally making some progress.

Turns out the github project Umbraco Standard Membership was different in a few key locations to the code that is in CWS-Start (which has more functionality anyway.

The changes are so significant I'll probably scrap the repo I created earlier and put everything in a new one (I really do not know what is the best way to proceed).

In any case, I will clean up the code until it is fully functional and then put up a link here.

Cheers,

Kris

Jun 25, 2014 @ 00:31
    Kris Janssen

I just finished a first rough port of the code.

Most things work more or less, except for sending the Emails.

It is still very rough around the edges and far from production ready but the general idea is there.

You can find it here

Hope its useful...

Jun 25, 2014 @ 01:56
    Chad

Thanks Kris,

I'm going to look at implementing this today, we'll see how it goes!

Jun 25, 2014 @ 02:06
    Chad

OK cursory glance indicates their are some pretty big security issues with the initial code. Will file an issue/PR via GitHub.

Jun 25, 2014 @ 07:06
    Kris Janssen

OK,

I would be interested to hear about it. The current code is just a quick and dirty adaptation...

Cheers,

Kris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft