Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Tregoning 63 posts 236 karma points
    Jun 25, 2014 @ 13:22
    David Tregoning

Which version of Visual Studio to use?

Moving my companies website from a Classic ASP based site to an umbraco site. I have taken this as far as I can functionality wise within the confines of Umbraco version 7 and want to use Visual Studio to create MVC code to add further functionality. Only having used Visual Studio a couple of times I am looking for advice on what version of Visual Studio 2013 my company should purchase: http://www.visualstudio.com/products/compare-visual-studio-products-vs

The type of stuff I am looking to do is connect to additional SQL and MS Access databases to pull data into Umbraco, create custom macro, directory reads, etc.

Can anybody offer some advice on this matter?

• Kris Janssen 210 posts 569 karma points c-trib
    Jun 25, 2014 @ 14:42
    Kris Janssen

I have always worked with the Pro version since that is what my employer (a university) provides it out of the box.

As far as I can tell everything is included for Umbraco development, including support for web projects, SQL etc...

You probably might also want Server Management Studio and LocalDB (I run the 2014 version on my test machine).

In terms of being able to debug your solutions and also step into U7 itself to be able to properly understand things: there are many stories online but by far the easiest way I found was to create a new empty web application, add Umbraco 7 to it using Nuget. Add everything to source control (ie Git) and next to add Umbraco-CMS as a sub repository to your main one.

Next you can proceed to build the Umbraco-CMS solution and temporarily replace references in your own project from the Nuget ones to the built Umbraco-CMS versions (with pdb). That way, when you run your project, you can also step through the Umbraco code if need be. When you don' t need that, you just switch back to the Nuget supplied binaries.

If Umbraco gets an update, you just update through nugget and pull the corresponding source from Umbraco-CMS...

If there are better ways, I would love to hear about them from others.

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Jun 25, 2014 @ 14:52
    Martin Griffiths
  • Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Jun 25, 2014 @ 15:24
    Craig Cronin

Its all down to cost really but we run a mixture of pro and premium versions, but the pro edition will definately do.

If you can I would recommend the MSDN Pro Subscription, when you consider all the license costs you get, its excellent value for money.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft