Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• DANIEL APTE 6 posts 56 karma points
    Jun 27, 2014 @ 18:57
    DANIEL APTE

@Umbraco.Field("comments") works locally - not on server?

Hi,

Do you know about this problem with Umbraco 7: Any new fields I add work fine in the local back office, but when I publish with Webmatrix to the server (discountASP.net) they dont show up. I did a view source in the browser and they're just not there!

For example, @Umbraco.Field("comments")

Thanks!

Daniel

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jun 28, 2014 @ 13:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daniel

I think it's an issue with IIS express / CE SQL somehow. Not sure what's going on but I've had a similar experience some years ago using webmatrix to publish a 4.7 based website.

Therefore I think that you should perhaps consider deploying using FTP rather than deploying using webmatrix in this scenario.

/Jan

Jun 28, 2014 @ 13:09
    Jan Skovgaard

...And you could perhaps try filing an issue on the issue tracker about the issue - perhaps containing some more details but I'm not sure that this is something Umbraco can do something about though.

/Jan

Jun 28, 2014 @ 20:59
    DANIEL APTE

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply. Good suggestion, yes, I'll give FTP a try.

/Daniel

Jun 29, 2014 @ 18:16
    DANIEL APTE

So Webmatrix doe have a choice for FTP and I tried it (I was using their "web Deploy). Unfortunately it still doesn’t pass the variables (Umbraco fields). Did you mean trying some FTP application other than Webmatrix?

I should also add that being new to Umbraco, I'm using one of the starter kits. All the pre-existing fields pass to the server; it's only the new ones I add that don't pass, but as I said before, they work fine in the local back office.

Thanks, Daniel

Jun 29, 2014 @ 20:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daniel

Yes I was thinking about using another FTP application.

In regards to database changes I was not very clear before. If you have made changes that you need to deploy to your live site then you must of course not overwrite the database since it will loose any content created on the live environment, which is of course not what you want.

You can either add the newly created document types manually by logging into Umbraco on your live site or you could look into using packages like either usync or umport to add the fields. For files like .css, .js, .cshtml etc. deploying using webmatrix should be fine.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jul 07, 2014 @ 21:51
    DANIEL APTE

Hi Jan,

Sorry it took so long to report back. Yes! Your suggestions fixed my problem. I mistakenly thought my local changes would duplicate when I did an upload. When I made my changes in the live environment instead, everything worked properly!

Thank you so much for your time,

/Daniel

Jul 08, 2014 @ 20:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daniel

I'm pleased to hear that it worked out for you - that's the important bit. Remember to mark the post as solved so others can benefit as well and go straight to the solution so they can carry on :)

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft