Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew Clarke 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jun 29, 2014 @ 02:18
    Andrew Clarke

Backoffice causes high CPU utilization

Hi there,

I'm building my first site with Umbraco 7.1.4 on ASP.NET 4.5 (Windows 8.1 64bit / IIS8) and have noticed the CPU usage spiking to above 90% when using the backoffice. More specifically when editing document types.

Saving and re-ordering generic properties on a document type with 20 generic properties causes the CPU to go above 90%.

I've been do a bit of research into this and there are a couple of posts where umbraco.config has been mentioned as the culprit due to the reloading / reordring of the nodes in the config file when performing a save / reorder.

Is this a known issue?

Are there any techniques / configuration changes that could be implemented to resolve this?

If I am not abe to resolve this issue in development, I think this may become a show stopper for using Umbraco and will have to consider another alternative (which is not what I want to do).

Thanks in advance.
    Andrew.

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    Jul 01, 2014 @ 11:26
    Mark

I experienced something similar today. Same versions, but IIS7 / Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. After initial login, I navigated to the Developer section. The Document Types section showed a blue progress bar. This caused the IIS worker process to run at 50%. Killing the process was the only way I could stop it. This would be a serious issue if it happened on a live web server.

• Mark 122 posts 255 karma points
    Jul 02, 2014 @ 14:58
    Mark

Just to chime in on this as well.. I too am having almost identical issues. I am running Win 8.1 x64. I have been developing with VS2013 Express so running it through IIS8 Express when I get the problem. CPU usage getting up to round 80% and staying there. I have found similar on a Win 7 x64 box too.

However, I have found (so far) that running it from VS 2012 Express does not cause the same issue. I'm wonderring whether is has anything to do with the browser tracking built in to VS 2013 (browserlink) as both versions of Visual Studio are using IIS 8 Express?

Jul 02, 2014 @ 16:38
    Andrew Clarke

Thanks Mark.

Think you might be onto something with browserlink. After disabling this, initial tests show the CPU to NOT change.

As soon as I enable this again and start browsing document types in the backend the CPU goes back up again.

I'll leave it disabled for a couple of days and report back.

Thanks again.

Jul 02, 2014 @ 16:41
    Mark

Having disabled it on my dev machine, all seems ok again for me too, so fingers crossed that's the solution. I know browserlink is js heavy with signalr, that combined with the extra js for angular in U7 may just be tipping it over the edge.

Glad it's helping so far though :-)

• John Hildebrant 14 posts 35 karma points
    Jul 18, 2014 @ 23:54
    John Hildebrant

I get near 100% CPU usage when navigating the backoffice, but I don't necessarily even need to edit anything. I've also noticed that when this happens, I can't trust that it saves anything I do in the back office, even if I get a a successfully saved message. I am in running in VS 2013 (debug) on Win 8.1.

I noticed if I switch the build to Release configuration, I don't seem to have this problem. This turned out not to be true, and it seems that disabling BrowserLink solves the problem. I kept getting a 500 error message before I disabled it. 

Jul 19, 2014 @ 10:51
    Mark

Have you tried it with browserlink disabled yet? I've not had a problem since I did that, even in debug mode. I haven't tried putting my sites into release mode to test, but browserlink isn't really brining anything to the table for me to want it enabled at the moment..

Jul 20, 2014 @ 02:08
    Andrew Clarke

+1 Since disabling browserlink I have not had anymore CPU issues. Great suggestion Mark. Thanks again.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7103 karma points c-trib
    Jun 12, 2015 @ 20:44
    Nicholas Westby

Experiencing the same in Umbraco 7.2.6. When I click on a document type in the Settings section of Umbraco, the CPU is pegged (Chrome is at 50%, so it's taking up one of my two cores).

I followed these instructions to disable Browser Link, which didn't fix the issue for me: http://www.asp.net/visual-studio/overview/2013/using-browser-link#disabling

I also closed Visual Studio completely and ran the website from IIS, which also didn't help.

Visual Studio 2013 with Update 4, IIS 8.5, Windows 8.1 Pro. I have also seen this with another Umbraco website that wasn't 7.2.6 (I think it was 7.1.x).

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7103 karma points c-trib
    Jun 12, 2015 @ 20:56
    Nicholas Westby

FYI, I reported the issue on the Umbraco issue tracker: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6697

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft