Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Damien Green 72 posts 134 karma points
    Jul 04, 2014 @ 18:57
    Damien Green

Embedding WebForms Custom Controls in Umbraco

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help with a bit of a "newbie" question. I've been led to believe by several videos on the Umbraco site that it is possible to integrate custom built asp.net WebForms controls into Umbraco sites. I have done several searches and all answers point to old releases of Umbraco not V7. The interface for V7 is totally different and I cannot find a way to link to an assembly dll and therefore map a custom control to a page. Note these are custom controls not user controls so they do not have an ascx file.

Does anyone have any pointers, or is this not possible in the latest version?

Many thanks,

Damien

• PRK 47 posts 119 karma points
    Jul 17, 2014 @ 15:29
    PRK

Hi Damien,

I do not know if I have understood your question correctly. If you want to only use the WebForm engine you could try this:

Change the Rendering Engine for your Project in the umbracoSettings.config. It is located in the Config - Folder. Search for the defaultRenderingEngine and change Mvc to WebForms. Restart and know Umbraco 7 uses the WebForms Engine.

• Damien Green 72 posts 134 karma points
    Jul 17, 2014 @ 16:48
    Damien Green

Hi PRK,

Thanks for your response. I did know about the WebForms mode but I've decided to change my approach. Originally I wanted to find a way to put a custom control into my frontend Umbraco pages. However, after further study of V7 (via Umbraco.TV), I've decided that I'm going to rewrite my custom control to use a surface controller instead. The surface controller will call into an API controller. My control which is an image gallery is mostly JavaScript that uses AJAX (via a custom http handler) to grab data from the server, so this seems to be the best way to go for an Umbraco implementation. Since I'm approaching v7 as the first version of Umbraco that I've used, I think it's best if I take onboard and utilise the newer MVC framework to develop my sites and packages.

Cheers,

Damien.

• PRK 47 posts 119 karma points
    Jul 18, 2014 @ 09:31
    PRK

Hi Damien,

its really the better way! :-)

Cheers, PRK

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft