Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Jul 13, 2014 @ 14:32
    Jesper Ordrup

High CPU on a 7.13

Hi all,

Suddenly a 7.13 launched 2-3 weeks ago reports high cpu usage. I dont have much detail as I'm not able to get to logs from my bad bad bad vacation connection but I just wanted to hear if anyone else has had the same experience?

What happens:

• Start site
    • Sites runs normally for a longer period and all areas are visited / tested while cpu usage remains normal.
    • Pages are edited and published and media uploaded. Still normal cpu usage (around 0% - 2%).
    • After random time the w3wp task goes beserk and suddenly its 90% - 100% and remains that way until app pool is restarted.

Theres only 2 things in the log that puzzles me ..

2014-07-13 04:40:15,295 [13] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - [Thread 101] An unhandled exception occurred
    System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
       at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path, Boolean checkAdditional)
       at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
       at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
       at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String path)
       at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_PhysicalPath()
       at UrlRewritingNet.Web.UrlRewriteModule.OnBeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

and

2014-07-13 12:34:31,864 [7] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - [Thread 57] An unhandled exception occurred
    System.ObjectDisposedException: The semaphore has been disposed.
       at System.Threading.SemaphoreSlim.Release(Int32 releaseCount)
       at ImageProcessor.Web.HttpModules.ImageProcessingModule.<ProcessImageAsync>d__6.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
       at System.Web.TaskAsyncHelper.EndTask(IAsyncResult ar)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.AsyncEventExecutionStep.OnAsyncEventCompletion(IAsyncResult ar)

I dont know if it's the same time the cpu went berserk as I dont have the access to setup performance monitors from my vacation spot :)

Have you experienced anything like it?

best

Jesper

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jul 13, 2014 @ 15:40
    Morten Bock

I've seen both of those exceptions in my site, but I have not seen them affect the CPU.

Last time I had a site with random-like CPU usage problems it was cause by the New Relic .Net agent. I don't know if you are using that, so it's a long shot, but maybe it could explain it?

• Marc Stöcker 104 posts 560 karma points c-trib
    Jul 13, 2014 @ 16:14
    Marc Stöcker

Second one looks like some ImageProcessor threading issue; could be the cause? Are you actively using it? Otherwise you could perhaps disable it; probably it gets used from within the back office though :(

Jul 13, 2014 @ 16:15
    Jesper Ordrup

Thx Morten. Good to know that u have the same exceptions without high CPU. Must look elsewhere. And nope - no new relic agents around here :)

Thx Jesper

Jul 13, 2014 @ 18:35
    Jesper Ordrup

Thx Marc, can't disable imageprocessor :)

• Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13631 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jul 13, 2014 @ 18:54
    Jeavon Leopold

I saw this happen once and it resolved on application pool restart however there is a now a known bug that is due to resolved in v7.1.5 which sounds like a possible cause...?

• Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13631 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jul 13, 2014 @ 18:57
    Jeavon Leopold

p.s. There are some replacement dlls further down in the comments with the proposed fix

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Jul 13, 2014 @ 19:06
    Chris Houston

Following on from Marc's suggestion, take a look at this thread about the same error:

Image Processor semaphore issue

FYI, I have just checked and in 7.1.3 the Image Processor DLL is version 1.8.8 so it might be worth getting the latest version and dropping it over the top?

Enjoy your hols!

Jul 13, 2014 @ 20:03
    Jesper Ordrup

Hi Jeavon and Chris,

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I'm gonna upgrade the imageprocessor to avoid the semaphore issue and cross fingers that it was part of the problem and wait with upgrading to 7.14 and patch until getting back as I would just hate sitting in a netcafe doing this :-)

I'll upgrade this thread with any findings.

best
    Jesper 

• James Jackson-South 489 posts 1747 karma points c-trib
    Jul 16, 2014 @ 18:17
    James Jackson-South

The semaphore issue is somehow caused by remote image requests (I think) in the ImageProcessor.Web library. Sadly it seems to have reared it's ugly head again.

That's not what is causing the slowdown though. That's definitely the aforementioned core bug.

• James Jackson-South 489 posts 1747 karma points c-trib
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 17:27
    James Jackson-South

That semaphore issue should be gone from v3.3.0.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft