Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Søren H. Pedersen 15 posts 65 karma points
    Jul 18, 2014 @ 10:35
    Søren H. Pedersen

Incompatible Tutorial / Creating links to pdf's

Hello Umbraco Community

Im basicly fairly new to Umbraco, and I've started working on a site in Umbraco that needs a page to list some pdf's.

For this, I found this tutorial which seemed like it would do the trick (its working with images, but I figured pdf's could work just as well). http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/umbraco-fundamentals/datatypes/using-content-and-media-pickers.aspx

But around 3.40, Umbraco in the tutorial starts generating code which mine doesn't (I am guessing they are different versions), and it comes with an error: System.OverflowException: Value was either too large or too small for an Int32.

I tried looking at the forum since it seems like others have had the same desire to make such a feature, but I can't use the solutions since Im still new to Umbraco and don't understand the syntax of allot of them.

But I am basicly hoping some can help me clarify which steps are missing in the tutorial, because simply having a mediapicker on the document type doesn't display the link to the pdf, unlike with images.

Kind Regards Søren

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 18, 2014 @ 10:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Søren

If you're working with Umbraco 7 the approach of creating property editors is not what's being displayed in the referred video. It's really old and is probably aimed at Umbraco 4.7.2 and down.

Have you come across this PDF generation package for v7? http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/pdf-generation

If you want to learn Umbraco 7 I think it's best to purchase access to umbraco.tv and get up to speed with all the new stuff that's been released.

In regards to creating property editors you should probably have a look at these pages http://umbraco.github.io/Belle/#/api

The angular book used at the angularjs workshop at CG14 is also available here https://github.com/umbraco/AngularWorkbook

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jul 18, 2014 @ 22:44
    Søren H. Pedersen

Hi Jan and Thanks for the quick response

Its funny, but that very video was actually the reason I bought access to Umbraco.tv. Rather a big let down to then find out that the whole reason for your purchase would be unable to help you -.-'

Me: "Oh, this looks like it could help me.. Hell yea!!.. its a good program.. Ill support it.."

Video: ".. Aaaaand now that you have bought the subscription, we will now change the codes out with something you won't be able to use in the newest version anyway :D "

Note: Lots of sarcasme in there :)

But I havnt come across the PDF generation package. But I will take a look at it and the links suggested when I get the time and get back to the thread and give some input if it helped or not... This weekend is very crowded :(

Kind regards Søren

Jul 24, 2014 @ 16:03
    Søren H. Pedersen

Hello again´

So I tried looking at the various suggetions you gave, and regretably none of them seems to guide me toward what I am looking for or doesn't work.

The pdf generation creates pdf's, and I just want to have links to pdf's in the media folder (preferably a list that shows the PDF's in the folder). However, the pdf generation might still come in handy at some point :)

Umbraco.tv has nothing about linking to pdf's in the media folder, so I don't see how that can help me.

And the Belle site doesn't seem like it has any tutorials regarding pdf's either.

The Angular Book guide doesn't seem like its a good guide. At step 2, at "The manifest", the code it tells me to make removes the editor, which prevents me from continuing after step 3... But I guess I should take that up with the creator of the tutorial.

But I looked at some of the other steps, and it looks like there is allot in it, but no mentioning on how to use pdf's..

Kind regards Søren

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft