Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tarunjit 103 posts 146 karma points
    Jul 18, 2014 @ 14:19
    Tarunjit

BlogEngine.Net Posts Import To Umbraco DataBase

Hi All,

We have around 450 blog posts already created using Blogengine.Net, now we wish to switch to Umbraco. Can anyone please let us know if there is some technique or utility that could import all blog posts data from Blog Engine data base to Umbraco data base.

Regards

Tarunjit Singh

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jul 18, 2014 @ 14:35
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Tarunjit,

You could try to take a look at the CMSImport from http://soetemansoftware.nl/, with the CMSImport you can import content or members from any datasource into Umbraco.

You can find the space for the package on Our here: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/cmsimport

Hope this could be a solution,

/Dennis

Jul 19, 2014 @ 09:52
    Tarunjit

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the help.

What you mean here is that CMS Import will import all the tables data (Blog Posts data) from BlogEngine.Net database infromation to Umbraco database.

It means CMS import will do one of the two things :-

a. CMS Import will create new tables in Umbraco database which will contain all the imported data from BlogEngine.Net to Umbraco data base. 

OR

b. CMS Import will simply import data from BlogEngine database tables to already existing Umbraco data base tables.

Can yoiu please confirm if my understanding is correct or not? If yes then please let us know which one of the two will be truw.

Also we have posted one more query regarding Umbraco support for managing blog posts "http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/54663-Umbraco-Support-For-Creating-Blog-Posts", to which we have got reply is that we should use Articulate. It means Umbraco7.1.4 doesnot support Blog Posts and we have to use Articulate. 

Waiting for your help on this.

Regards

Tarunjit Singh

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 20, 2014 @ 09:01
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Tarunjit,

Umbraco comes blank out of the box and that's why you don't see a blog /faq/news out of the box. It's easy to create thos via packages. I wrote CMSImport but if you are planning to use Articulate you can use the import functionality of Articulate. Export your blogengine posts as BlogML and import those into Articulate.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Jul 20, 2014 @ 12:40
    Tarunjit

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually i am new to Umbraco and have just started working on this and still looking for the best possible way which i could use to import information about all of my legacy blog posts from BlogEngine.Net database to Umnbraco database.

Please help me which of the method i should use for this and also it would be very helpful for me if you could share some of the links for the same which could guidl me to import all of my legacy blog posts from BlogEngine.Net data base to Umbrac0 data base.

Regards

Tarunjit Singh 

Jul 21, 2014 @ 09:58
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Like I mentioned above. Just install Umbraco and install the Articulate package use the import function to import the BlogML formatted export file. For some basic info about Umbraco watch the free video's about the basics on umbraco.tv.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Jul 22, 2014 @ 08:07
    Tarunjit

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the help.

I have downloaded Articulate package "Articulate_1.0.3" from url "http://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/articulate", it had downloaded folder in which there are many files. I have to install articulate package in my Umbraco as local package so that it gets integarted in Umbraco7.1.4, but i am not able to locate the file which i should select to install.

Here are the steps i am following to install Articulate:-

a. Go To Developers section in Umbraco.

b. Select "Packages node"

c. In "Packages" node click "Install local package" link. Here i click Choose file button i am not sure which file i should select here to install Articulate.

Note :- Just for your information i tried to install package by selecting files "Installer.ascx" and "package.xml" from the downloaded folder but got an error as shown below.

Could not upload file
    System.Exception: Error unpacking extension... ---> ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.ZipException: Wrong Local header signature: 0x3CBFBBEF at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.ZipInputStream.GetNextEntry() at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.UnPack(String zipName) in c:\Users\e1002351\Desktop\umbraco\Umbraco-CMS-release-7.1.4\Umbraco-CMS-release-7.1.4\src\umbraco.cms\businesslogic\Packager\Installer.cs:line 664 at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile) in c:\Users\e1002351\Desktop\umbraco\Umbraco-CMS-release-7.1.4\Umbraco-CMS-release-7.1.4\src\umbraco.cms\businesslogic\Packager\Installer.cs:line 162 --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.Import(String InputFile) in c:\Users\e1002351\Desktop\umbraco\Umbraco-CMS-release-7.1.4\Umbraco-CMS-release-7.1.4\src\umbraco.cms\businesslogic\Packager\Installer.cs:line 177 at umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.Installer.uploadFile(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\Users\e1002351\Desktop\umbraco\Umbraco-CMS-release-7.1.4\Umbraco-CMS-release-7.1.4\src\Umbraco.Web\umbraco.presentation\umbraco\developer\Packages\installer.aspx.cs:line 120

Can you please help me on this?

Regards

Tarunjit Singh

Jul 22, 2014 @ 08:43
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Select the zip file no need to unpack. Isn't that mentioned in the description when uploading the files?

Cheers,

Richard

Jul 22, 2014 @ 09:21
    Tarunjit

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the help, It worked. Also yes it was mentioned to select zip file i missed it.

On selecting zip file "Articulate_1.0.3.zip" and clicking button "Load Package", i got redirected to new page which shows error as described below :

Blogging built on Umbraco 

Supporting all the features you'd want in a blogging platform: 

* Categories & Tags 
    * Themes 
    * Live Writer support 
    * Markdown support 
    * Easily post from your mobile phone including adding images and photos direct from you camera 
    * Disqus, Google+ or Facebook comment support 
    * Search 
    * Blogml import/export 
    ** During import we can also export a compatible XML so you can easily import your comments to Disqus 
    * RSS 
    ** Built in or custom feed 
    ** Feeds per category/tag 
    * Customizable urls 
    * Author profiles

Binary files in the package!

Read more...

Binary file errors detected

Read more...
    Below these warning messages we have "Install Package" button, on clicking this button we get error message as shown below :-

Server Error in '/' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Articulate.Controls.Installer'.

Source Error: 

Line 1: <%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" Inherits="Articulate.Controls.Installer" %> Line 2:  
    Line 3:  <div>

Source File: /App_Plugins/Articulate/BackOffice/Installer.ascx    Line: 

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18446
    Can you please let us know if we are missing some thing?
    Regards
    Tarunjit Singh
    Jul 22, 2014 @ 10:37
    Tarunjit

Hi Richard,

Can you please help me on the issue which i have posted in my last comment?

Regards

Tarunjit Singh

Jul 22, 2014 @ 12:31
    Richard Soeteman

Best to ask for support on that one on the Articulate package forum.

Best,

Richard

Jul 22, 2014 @ 13:22
    Tarunjit

Hi Richard,

I have aked query on url http://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/articulate/discussions/54786-Issue-with-Articulate-Integration-In-Umbraco , can you please confirm if it is Articulate package forum.

If not then please share the url of Articulate package forum, where i could post my query.

Regards

Tarunjit Singh

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jul 22, 2014 @ 13:26
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Tarunjit,

You have asked your question at the right place.

It´s always a good thing to ask questions about a specific packages in the forum for the package you use, like you just did for the Articulate package.

/Dennis

Jul 22, 2014 @ 16:13
    Tarunjit

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the confirmation. 

But still got no response on this from Articulate package forum.

Regards

Tarunjit Singh

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft