Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James 251 posts 1169 karma points
    Jul 21, 2014 @ 11:15
    James

Application Pool/ RAM & Umbraco

I'm wondering if anyone can verify what my host is telling me.

I am currently hosting with aspnethosting.co.uk. Very good hsot neve rhad any problems with standard .net webpages etc.

After installing umbraco and testing a live site ive had multiple timeout issueds. I have done all that i can with regards to troubleshooting on the application level.

After contacting my hosting provider they said that the currnt RAM limit for individual sites on my hosting plan is 128mb.

They said this is likely what is going to be causing my session time outs? An increase to the RAM pool available to each website would likely fix this.

Just to clarify, the umbraco installation i have is very small 4-5 pages and I am currently trying to upload 15 mb video files to it (after doing everything needed to allow that on my side). The session times outs occur when browsing the back office, not just while uploading.

Kind regards.

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 21, 2014 @ 14:59
    Robert Foster

Hi James,

It's very possible that it's a RAM issue - there's a lot of objects that Umbraco caches on startup, and the more work you do in the backend the more memory is consumed.  If you're actively adding content or editing files in the backend, you should probably look at doubling the amount of memory.

- Rob.

• James 251 posts 1169 karma points
    Jul 21, 2014 @ 15:33
    James

Thanks for your response.

I trialed my website on 256 RAM as the host let me. The session time outs were noticably less often but not gone completely.

My host then allowed me to use 512MB and the session time outs stopped completely.

Websites with dedicated 512MB Application Pools looks like what ill be using.

Not riduclously expensive either.

Kind regards.

• Robert Foster 459 posts 1820 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 21, 2014 @ 15:35
    Robert Foster

Glad to hear it - In thinking about it after posting, I should have mentioned that 384MB seems to be the minimum from my experience with sites on Windows Azure, but 512 MB should be quite acceptable.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft