Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom 1 post 21 karma points
    Jul 21, 2014 @ 15:17
    Tom

Optimal server specification for umbraco 7

Hi,

I've been doing soem server admin for a client who's wordpress website got hacked. I moved it to a VPS, completely locked it down and set up a development and live domains. The developments domain's admin area could only be accessed over HTTPs and only fromwhitelisted IPs. The live site's admin was not available at all.

I had to set things up like this so as to convince the client it was massively more secure than they had before, which it undoubtedly is. They have now hired a marketing agency that is building their new site using Umbraco 7. This means sayign goodbye to my lovely locked down linux VPS and hello windows VPS. 

So, I have seen the minimum spec for running Umbraco 7, I would like to find out though what an optimal specification for a VPS which would run only development and live copies of one website is? How resource hungry is IIS 7, SQL server and Umbraco 7 combined?

Also, is it possible for me to set up the server how I set up the linux box? To have a dev.domain.com and domain.com for dev and live where the dev subdomain's admin is the only admin pubically available over https from a whitelisted IP? On linux I had a bash script to copy over the database and the files from dev to live, I'm guessing I can do the same in C that I could create a tiny webapp to run? 

Anyway, the main question here is optimal server specification (CPU cores, RAM, disk space etc) but if you have any thoughts on the other points I'd love to hear them!

Cheers,

Tom.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft