Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Yoni 49 posts 118 karma points
    Jul 28, 2014 @ 17:54
    Yoni

Convert my site from SQL CE to regular MSSQL? Umbraco 7

I created my site in 7 using SQL CE. It is almost ready to go live. I have seen there a few plugins that only work with ms SQL and not CE. Is there any way to convert my site without building it from scratch?

Thanks

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 28, 2014 @ 19:19
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Easy, open the site in WebMatrix, go to Database, click Umbraco.sdf, click Migrate and put in your SQL server credentials. enter image description here

Jul 28, 2014 @ 19:24
    Yoni

Thanks

Then what settings do I need to change in Umbraco to point it there?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 28, 2014 @ 19:58
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Connectionstring umbracoDbDsn, I think it gets updated automatically when you do this.

Jul 29, 2014 @ 08:21
    Yoni

I would like to add my experience.

I used the Migrate option in WebMatrix. I did not need to create the DB in advance, Webmatrix did it for me.

When the process was done, I was left with 2 connections strings. The original one and the new SQL which got the name "Umbraco". I deleted the original one and renamed the new one to "umbracoDbDSN" and everything worked great.

But thanks, you did get me most of the way there.

• philw 99 posts 434 karma points
    Apr 26, 2015 @ 13:18
    philw

Thanks, you just saved my life with that. Notres:

• Can't download Webmatrix using Chrome, but IE works ok.
    • WebMatrix 3 works as you suggest - you have to double click the DB entry to get the "migrate" option to show up.
    • I migrated straight to a remote hosted DB. I had only 15 pages to shift but it took a good 10 minutes even so, with not much progress report. If you had a big migrate it may take a while, or you could migrate it to a local SQL Express (which WebMatrix offers to install for you). and then backup/ restore it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft