Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Russell McGinnis 48 posts 183 karma points
    Jul 29, 2014 @ 22:33
    Russell McGinnis

Select first n Child Documents Efficiently

I am using Umbraco V7 and struggling with an efficient way to find the first 5 child documents, within a document, efficiently.

I have a NewsOverview document that contains over 60 NewsItem documents.

I then have various partial views (Razor) that find the NewsOverview document and attempt to find the first 5 NewsItems to display as summaries, using the following code:

var newsItems = newsOverview.newsItems.OrderBy("publishDate desc, createDate desc").Take(5);

However, this has to load all of the NewsItems into memory before it can select the first 5 and this is a slow task.
    Any suggestions on a more efficient way to carry out this task ?
  • Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13632 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jul 30, 2014 @ 17:47
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Russell,

PublishedContent is already cached in memory, I think that using the strongly typed model (Model.Content) might be a little more efficient than use the Dynamic model (CurrentPage).

I'm not sure how your getting newsOverview, so the below is just a example:

var newsOverview = Umbraco.TypedContent(1234);

var newsItems = newsOverview.Children.OrderByDescending(x => x.UpdateDate).ThenByDescending(x => x.CreateDate).Take(5);        

}

Jeavon

• Russell McGinnis 48 posts 183 karma points
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 19:01
    Russell McGinnis

Jeavon, thanks for the reply and the information. I was missing the fact that Umbraco caches it's content in memory and as such is not making heavy database calls.

Been working with Umbraco (7) for 6 weeks now and loving how easy it is to work with. 

Thanks

• Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13632 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jul 31, 2014 @ 19:07
    Jeavon Leopold

That's fantastic to hear!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft