Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Michael Ambler 8 posts 28 karma points
    Aug 01, 2014 @ 16:57
    Michael Ambler

Setting up DEV, UAT and Production Enviroments

Hi 

I recently setup a Production enviroment on Azure for my website using Umbraco 7.1.1 from the Gallery in the Azure console. The next day I created a Training enviroment using the Azure gallery, again 7.1.1 and ftp'd the Productions site to the Training site, I then copied the Production database and renamed it and updated the web.config file to use the new training database. I haven't done extensive testing but this seem to have worked and given me a mirror of the Production site for new content editors to play in.

I then tried to repeat the process to create a DEV and UAT enviroments so that we had somewhere to try non-content updates such as look and feel updates via templates and CSS and a place to test before going live.

The problem was by then the Azure gallery had updated to version 7.1.3 so repeating the same process didn't work, the copy of Production 7.1.1 on UAT with an install of 7.1.3 just frozen on some kind of Authorize Upgrade redirect and would go no futher, wouldn't upgrade, wouldn't do anything.

The Azure Gallery is now on 7.1.4 so my problem is getting worse

So my ask is - what's best practice for creating mirror'd enviroments that provide DEV and UAT capabilities

Thanks Michael 

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 09:07
    Dan Lister

Hi Michael,

Are you using any form of source control with you website? I would suggest versioning your live site and creating DEV and UAT branches from that.

Within Azure, you can link an Azure Website with a repository and also specify a branch to build from. From example, production from the master branch, dev from the dev branch and so on. Also within Azure, you can create deployments slots. This might be handy for creating your UAT environment for example.

I talked about how I have my Azure Websites setup in last week's uHangout. Hopefully that should help with regards to Azure Websites and different environments.

Thanks, Dan.

• Michael Ambler 8 posts 28 karma points
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 10:51
    Michael Ambler

Hi Dan

I have setup an account in Visual Studio Online but I may be going about this a bit arse-about-face as I'm trying to setup my Azure websites with working instances of the site for DEV, UAT etc then link them to source control - should I be first setting up my master branch and then Dev branches thereof in source control and then link them with an Azure website?

Cheers

Michael

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft