Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Axel 68 posts 96 karma points
    Aug 08, 2014 @ 14:11
    Axel

Best way to move from development environment to productive server?

hi, iam currently develop and design on my development environment (win7,sql express 2012,visual studio 2010) with umbraco 7.x.

now i want distribute this to our productive server (win server 2012,sql server 2012)
    what is the best way to get this from my development computer to the productive server?
    on this server i want open our umbraco project again with visual studio
    Best regards axel

Aug 12, 2014 @ 08:56
    Axel

Hi, can no one help me?
    I just need how to move my current development page move to the productive server and further develop there.
    best regards

• Chris Perks 32 posts 114 karma points
    Aug 12, 2014 @ 10:26
    Chris Perks

Hi,

There are a few ways you can do this.

1. Publish the Umbraco project as a website : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/20yh9f1b%28v=vs.90%29.aspx - then copy (via FTP or similar) the whole output folder to your production server. This won't install or update your production database, so you'll have to either run the installer again on your production server, or take a backup of your development database and restore this on your production server.
    2. Set up an automated deployment process using a tool such as Octopus - https://octopusdeploy.com/ - this will take more time to set up, but ensures your changes are deployed in a repeatable, predictable way. The idea here (typically) is that you check your changes into a version control system, which triggers a build / package script. Octopus then takes the package and extracts it on your target production server. I'm currently using this setup for several production websites and it works great for me.

Aug 13, 2014 @ 11:07
    Axel

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. But thats are not that what i exactly want. i have develop a website with umbraco on my development machine . this development basis i want move to a produtiv server but want develop with this machine. i need to move the complete folder ?? and sql express umbraco database.

is this possible?

Aug 13, 2014 @ 11:40
    Chris Perks

Yes,

You really should be developing everything on your local machine (for instance, through Visual Studio) then deploying the finished files (masterpages, macros, etc) to your production server.

Is there a particular reason you *need* to install VS on the production server and do development there?

Aug 13, 2014 @ 11:56
    Axel

Hi Chris, i will not install VS on the production server. I start develop (and thats the problem another colleague) on a local machine. my colleague too.
    now we want to move the development base from me to the production server and open both (me and my colleague) with vs 2013 from our computers the umbraco cms from the production server.

Aug 13, 2014 @ 11:59
    Chris Perks

Ah, this makes more sense now.

Are you using any version control software (SVN, Git)? If so, there are lots of tools to help you there.

If this isn't an option, then you can edit Masterpage and Macro files via the Umbraco web interface (Settings / Develop tabs), or if all else fails, open files in Visual Studio (installed on your local machine) via FTP - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/1cstz8bk%28v=vs.100%29.aspx

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft