Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Wilson 100 posts 377 karma points
    Aug 21, 2014 @ 13:57
    Chris Wilson

Umbraco 7 - Single Image (not folder) Picker

Hi all; long time reader, first time poster!

Perhaps I'm just being an absolute dimwit but I can't seem to find a method of restricting types available to be chosen by the default Media Picker.

Essentially I need to provide my users with a method of choosing a singular image from within a hierarchy of folders. They should not be able to choose a folder.

Apologies if this has come up before but after searching 4 pages of Google results all I could find was people referencing DAMP, which it seems doesn't work with v7.0+

Is there a simple method for achieving this in v7(.1.4)?

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Aug 21, 2014 @ 14:16
    Dan Lister

Hi Chris,

I don't think you can restrict the media picker data type by media type. If you don't want to reuse your media items, you could change your property from the media picker data type to the image cropper data type. That will allow editors to upload images directly when editing a page. The only downside is that they are not reusable like media items.

Thanks, Dan.

Aug 21, 2014 @ 14:33
    Chris Wilson

Hi Dan,

That's disappointing; despite it not being in the project spec I can see the re-usability question being one of the first questions directed at me. In terms of a solution it does work for this purpose though.

As a sidenote; is it a difficult job to extend/modify the underlying code of the Media Picker?

Cheers, Chris.

• Rolf Johansson 53 posts 315 karma points
    Aug 21, 2014 @ 14:41
    Rolf Johansson

I'm not sure if I really understand the question, but if you configure the Media Picker to not take multiple items the editor can only select one image. You can set a starting node in the Media and then users can only select images below that. If they click on a folder, it will only open the folder in the Media Picker. You never "select" a folder as an item.

But if you have mixed types like PDF and images in the same folder, Media Picker can't restrict the selection to only images.

Aug 21, 2014 @ 14:44
    Dan Lister

Thats true Rolf but when you hover over a folder, a 'select' option appears allowing an editor to select a folder rather than open a folder.

Thanks, Dan

• Rolf Johansson 53 posts 315 karma points
    Aug 21, 2014 @ 14:48
    Rolf Johansson

Wow, that's right. I never thought about that. :(

Aug 21, 2014 @ 14:49
    Dan Lister

A Media Picker pre value option to specify excluded media types sounds like a perfect PR though. I might have to have a go a that one :)

Aug 21, 2014 @ 15:19
    Chris Wilson

Dan is bang on there; having witnessed newbies to Umbraco 7's interface using my back office setup it transpired that clicking the 'select' label to open the folder was their go-to action.

This was obviously followed by some rather confused faces :D

If you do manage to get a pre-value option configured for that picker, I'd love to know about it!

Aug 22, 2014 @ 10:43
    Dan Lister

I've added a feature request to the issues tracker :)

Dan.

Aug 22, 2014 @ 15:37
    Chris Wilson

Upvoted, cheers Dan :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft