Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• James 251 posts 1169 karma points
    Aug 28, 2014 @ 13:38
    James

Page Titles/ Names & SEO

Hello All,

I have been using Umbraco for a little while now.

Im titling each of my websites pages doing this:

<title> Company/ Site Name | @Umbraco.Field("pageName")</title>

I can change the names of the nodes which I have created in order to make longer titles for each page.

If i have a node called Home, and change it to Professional Services. I can still get to that page using /home. Why is this?

What is the best way using umbraco to create managable titles for SEO that can be set in the master layout page?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Aug 28, 2014 @ 13:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi James

What version of Umbraco are you using?

So you change the page name to "professional services" so it should be accssible using www.site.com/professional-services but you can also access that same page using the old name like www.site.com/home ?

Are there by any chance some redirects somewhere?

/Jan

• James 251 posts 1169 karma points
    Aug 28, 2014 @ 14:00
    James

Hi Jan

I am using the version that automatically installs in visual studio 2013 which is  7.1.6.

Yes once i have created all my doc types and templates then the nodes say Home > Contact | Services

If i change Home to "random name" i can get to it using /random-name and /home

Very strange.

Im just looking for more lengthy titles on each of the pages withotu sacrificing the simple short node names.

Is there a standard way people use umbraco to do this? 

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Aug 28, 2014 @ 14:45
    Dennis Aaen

Hi James,

Okay so if I understand you correctly you want the title of your page to be some else, so you can keep your url, short.

The way I normally do this is by add a tab on my document type called Navigation, on that tab I put, the umbracoNaviHide property, and a property called navigation title, by doing this the user can give the page a new name.

I think that you could do that way, and if the navigation title property is empty for the page, then you could make a fallback to the nodename,

This how I normally do it, hope this helps and I have understood your question correct,

/Dennis

• Steve Morgan 1348 posts 4457 karma points c-trib
    Aug 28, 2014 @ 15:57
    Steve Morgan

To add to what Dennis has said - if you use a Master document type put this Navigation (I call it Meta) tab on that and then all your document types will have this property/ies - in the example below it has the  alias pageTitle 

You can have it fall back to the node name:

@Umbraco.Field("pageTitle", altFieldAlias: "pageName")

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft