Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Haansi 51 posts 150 karma points
    Sep 03, 2014 @ 16:21
    Haansi

architecture of Umbraco application

I m new to Umbraco, I have watched Umbraco.tv videos and want to use Umbraco in a project as a cms for managing and editing content. I am highly thankful for your guidance, time and for your thoughts on 3 questions:

1. How a Umbraco based data driven proejct should be architecutured ? For custom database tables do you use a separate database or same Umbraco database ?

2. How you work with custom data (non content) ? Do you make everything a document type, even if it is data which you are not going to create content of, for example a simple form submitted data ?

3. For DAL what technology or ORM you use ? Does Umbraco provide any API for saving simple data which is not a content or document type ?

Thank you so much once again.

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Sep 03, 2014 @ 16:37
    Barry Fogarty

Hi Haansi.  Welcome to Umbraco!

1. You can do either but unless you have an existing data you need to integrate, it will be simpler to use the Umbraco DB for any extra custom tables you need.

2. Document types are only supposed to be used for website content that is editable via the Umbraco backoffice.  NB You can create Umbraco content via the ContentService API.

3. PetaPoco is now shipped with Umbraco and is the de facto choice for custom data storage.  Also look at Contour for forms.

Useful resources:
    Umbraco PetaPoco tutorial: http://www.enkelmedia.se/blogg/2013/1/24/the-new-data-layer-in-umbraco-6.aspx
    Umbraco Content API http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2013/1/22/introducing-contentservice-aka-the-v6-api.aspx ;

• Haansi 51 posts 150 karma points
    Sep 04, 2014 @ 01:30
    Haansi

wow great help, thanks Barry. cheers

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft