Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Geeta 5 posts 26 karma points
    Sep 04, 2014 @ 10:13
    Geeta

Archive Umbraco Content

Hi, 

I wud like to archive umbraco content month wise. I have my own document type. how can i achieve this

Regards

Gita

• Alex Skrypnyk 6148 posts 24077 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Sep 04, 2014 @ 11:09
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Geeta,

What do you mean about archive? Do you want to freeze current state of Umbraco content ?

Thanks, Alexandr

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Sep 04, 2014 @ 12:08
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Maybe you can use this package for it: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/udatefoldersy

Jeroen

• Steve Morgan 1348 posts 4457 karma points c-trib
    Sep 04, 2014 @ 12:14
    Steve Morgan

I think Geeta this all depends on your approach of building your document types in the first place. It's not going to be an inbuilt Umbraco thing but more a question of how you structure your data (or for an existing site what you've inherited!). 

You don't say what your issue is but I'm going to guess you have something like a News Parent Container with news items below. This will quickly grow if you publish lots of news articles and become a big long list. 

Let's say you have a news parent and want to "archive" news items after a set amount of time. You could just create a parent type of News Archive and then move the article nodes into this (even locate this "archive") below the News container. This would change the URL of the articles though - I wouldn't go this way. 

One approach would be to create sub parent container document types called NewsMonth or similar and name these 01-2014 etc.. this will also mean news articles would have a URL /latest-news/01-2014/My-exciting-news-article - each month you create a new container and continue from there.  So your tree structure *could* look like this:

home
    - Some Section
    - Some other section
    - Latest News
    - 01-2014
    - 02-2014
    - News article 1 in feb
    - My Exciting News Article
    - 03-2014

I guess you might say that eventually you'll have a lot of these month containers - again you might want to then "tidy" these away to a news archive section - here, again, you'd be moving nodes so would want to set up 301 redirects for SEO juice goodness. 

If you've got an existing site and are finding you have a lot of content building then you're going to have to probably move some items around and change your document type structure (again ensure you look at redirects if you go this route). 

Esentiall you need three doc types (with the child structure allowing the creation of them in the order shown):

• News Parent
    • News Month Container
    • News Article

Does that make sense? 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft