Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nathan 67 posts 146 karma points
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 11:31
    Nathan

Project structure for multi site support

I have a working Umbraco project. I have to modify project structures so that it will support multiple sites. What I've done so far:

Back Office:

• Created another content node that represents the new site Set Culture an Hostnames > Domain to local.projectname.net, same for first site with local.otherproject.net
    • Created new layouts for new content node
    • Added the domain names to IIS and hosts file

This works fine if the MVC folders from project are in root.

Visual Studio:

enter image description here

-Added my MVC Area 'Site1' and 'Site2' to the umbracoReservedPaths in the Web.config.

<add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/, ~/Site1/, ~/Site2/" />

-Added the class from below referenced post to register my MVC Area using custom routes:

using System.Web.Mvc;
    using Umbraco.Core;

public class MvcStartup : IApplicationEventHandler
    {
       public void OnApplicationInitialized(UmbracoApplicationBase umbracoApplication, ApplicationContext applicationContext)
       {

}

public void OnApplicationStarting(UmbracoApplicationBase umbracoApplication, ApplicationContext applicationContext)
       {
            AreaRegistration.RegisterAllAreas();
       }

public void OnApplicationStarted(UmbracoApplicationBase umbracoApplication, ApplicationContext applicationContext)
       {

}
    } 

After this, I get a blank screen on running the project. I followed the steps from this blog post :http://blog.dampee.be/post/2013/03/29/Convert-MVC-application-to-Umbraco-v6-using-Custom-Routes.aspx

Q: What is the best way to structure the project so that will implement multiple sites in Umbraco? I guess the page is blank because Umbraco expects the views to be in root, and now the View folder from root is empty. How can I make Umbraco take the Views from my Areas? Or what have I done wrong so far? Thanks.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 17:43
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Did you try the "Umbraco" way of MVC? Instead of creating custom routes you let Umbraco handle the routing for you. More info here: http://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Reference/Mvc/custom-controllers

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft