Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• ZNS 60 posts 198 karma points
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 16:25
    ZNS

Working with versions

Hi,

I've figured out that Umbraco supports different versions of content. You can "Undo" to older versions. However is there a good way of working (editing) different versions of content? Let's say I have page "Holiday fun" which contains info about summer activities. Now I want to add some christmas activities to my document and say that it should be published on december 1st. How can I manage this as an editor?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 18:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi ZNS and welcome to our :)

The rollback function is not meant to do versioning like "for Christmas we need to display this piece of content on the site and for haloween this piece etc." It's more like a safety measure so if you edit the wrong page by mistake or something like that then you can easily do a rollback to find the original version. But I suppose you could switch between different states perhaps but I don't think that it's ideal.

In the upcoming release of Umbraco 7.2 it's going to be possible to do some more advanced versioning using a new concept in Umbraco called "Segments", which you may have heard about.

But for now it's possible to edit a page and then hit "Save" and then in the "Properties" tab you can setup a publish date and time for the page so any changes made will first appear at the chosen date and time. However I think it depends, which version of Umbraco you're currently running since this functionality has been working/not working between different Umbraco releases in the past. But when it's working it's really awesome! :)

I hope this helps and makes sense - Otherwise just shout and I'll try to explain it in more detail.

/Jan

• ZNS 60 posts 198 karma points
    Sep 24, 2014 @ 13:25
    ZNS

Hi and thanks :)

Sounds great that you're working with more advanced versioning. However I looked around and found this regarding segments and variations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuFNtQd4L14 Which seem like cool features but not directly connected to working with multiple versions of content?

Regarding saving without publishing (in 7.1.4 at least) it's a nice feature but the UI for it isn't very good. First of all the "Save"-action is hidden behind the "Save and publish"-button which means that for an editor it's very easy to publish by mistake. Also it's very hard to see in the UI if the content you're working with is published or not. It should be a notification of that somewhere?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft