Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Morgan 1348 posts 4457 karma points c-trib
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 17:54
    Steve Morgan

Visual Studio - Setting up a separate project for MVC custom code in solution

Hi,

When I build Umbraco v7 sites I just create the MVC Models, Views, Controllers folders, store any custom classes under App_Code and put custom angular bits under the App_Plugins. This seems to be how it's done in the videos.. though I'd happily take any feedback here. 

This works well but Visual Studio 2013 runs a like a dog.  I've seen some people create separate projects to hold their custom code under a solution - from Googling you create a MyProject.site and nuget Umbraco into it and then create a separate project for your custom code.

All seems straight forward except I'm missing some Visual Studio referencing magic (and/ or build events?) at this point to make this build and work. I can easily add a reference in the Umbraco project to the custom one but how do I add the reference to the necessary Umbraco files so that I can write my custom code with intellisense goodness - can I just add Model, Views (with a Partials sub dir?) .. etc folders in this?

Are there any special build and deployment considerations with this approach? 

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 18:18
    Ismail Mayat

Steve,

Take a look at http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/hybrid-framework some really good pointers on best way to work with umbraco and mvc.

Regards

Ismail

• Paul Gower 28 posts 74 karma points
    Jun 02, 2015 @ 20:41
    Paul Gower

Ismail,

Is this Hybrid Framework the way you would recommend doing new development in Umbraco v7?  

Steve, like you I have heard people refer to having 2 projects for Umbraco to keep the "custom code" separate.  What did you decide to do?  Any insights you have would be greatly appreciated as I am working in Umbraco for the first time on the current project I am working on.

Thanks,
    Paul 

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 02, 2015 @ 21:25
    Ismail Mayat

Paul,

At cogworks we have separate projects, if starting out I highly recommend hybrid jeoren and Jeavon know what they are doing and have out together really nice solution in hybrid.

Regards

Ismail

• Steve Morgan 1348 posts 4457 karma points c-trib
    Jun 03, 2015 @ 11:25
    Steve Morgan

Hi Paul,

No - I kept it in one project. Unless I'm debugging I just keep running the site without debugging enabled (ctrl + F5) and it's swift. I also had an issue in visual studio which seemed to cause it to slow down - nothing to do with the Umbraco project. 

I feel like there is definitely a lot of scope of doing things better though. Waiting for a wet weekend to have a proper look at the Hybrid framework - I usually like to keep things vanilla though to avoid barriers in upgrades.

HTH 

Steve

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft