Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Cartlidge 3 posts 33 karma points
    Oct 11, 2014 @ 19:31
    Robert Cartlidge

Manage common content on a master template in one global property

I want to be able to manage content of a master template in one place.

For example I have a master template with a footer that is the same on every page. Now I want to be able to change this footer content in one place, and then for it to update every page which uses the master template.

Currently I have a "footerContent" property in each document type that uses the master template which means the footer can now be edited, however, the footer content can vary from page to page.

Is there a way to edit a master template property in a more global way?

Thank you.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 11, 2014 @ 21:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

An approach to manage the footer content in just one global place could be to add a settings/footer tab to your homepage document type with a field for your footer content for instance. You could also make a settings document type for it if that makes sense to your users and the way you have setup the backoffice.

Then you can tell XSLT/Razor to fetch the footer content from there rather than on each document.

I hope this makes sense.

/Jan

• Robert Cartlidge 3 posts 33 karma points
    Oct 11, 2014 @ 21:48
    Robert Cartlidge

Great that's just what I was looking for.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Oct 11, 2014 @ 22:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

Pleased to hear that - Hope you enjoy doing Umbraco :)

Have a nice evening.

/Jan

• Maks Frandsen 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 18, 2014 @ 22:50
    Maks Frandsen

I am trying to accomplish the same as Robert Cartlidge. Sorry but don't get the solution that Jan Skovgaard comes with. I am missing some details to understand how, could someone explain it in more details?

I know about document types and all the basic stuff in Umbraco, but I have only played with Umbraco for a week now (I like Umbraco so far), so I am not that experienced.

/ The new kid in class

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft