Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jake williamson 207 posts 872 karma points
    Oct 16, 2014 @ 12:05
    jake williamson

windows update appears to break System.Web.Http in umbraco below v7.1.8!

this is fun...

i ran windows update on wednesday (in the uk) and updated my machine. after restarting, all my umbraco sites running versions lower than v7.1.8 started reporting:

The type 'System.Web.Http.ApiController' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Web.Http, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

my 1st solution was to upgrade umbraco to v7.1.8 which was ok for some projects but not others.

after much mucking around, the solution was to select the 'System.Web.Http' reference in the project and change the 'copy local' from false to true. rebuild the project and it's back in business.

from what i can find out, windows update has updated the version in the global assembly cache which is stuffing up umbraco.

hopefully this post will save someone the hours we've wasted trying to get our apps up and running!

cheers,

jake

Oct 16, 2014 @ 12:14
    jake williamson

we've also had another non umbraco app moan about this in the webconfig:

again, this has only started happening on machines where wednesdays windows update has been applied!

the fix was to change copy local on 'System.Web.Mvc' in the references.

whatta pain...

• Umbroco 11 posts 60 karma points
    Oct 16, 2014 @ 13:20
    Umbroco

Thanks for the post, suddenly couldnt access the backoffice and had no clue why, but I used your solution and now it works :)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 16, 2014 @ 13:25
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I feel your pain! I'm quite puzzled that Microsoft didn't discover this in their testing process (maybe they did and thought it was an acceptable prize to pay for fixing the security problem, don't know).

We blogged about it here: http://umbra.co/1w8MhWV

• Garret 68 posts 308 karma points
    Oct 16, 2014 @ 13:43
    Garret

Same problem here!

But to be clear, the fix is to:  change copy local from false to true on 'System.Web.Mvc' in the references. ?

Kind regards

Garret

Oct 16, 2014 @ 13:47
    jake williamson

hi garret,

that seems to be the fix here - it means vs will copy the version from your packages rather than calling the one from the global assembly cache.

good luck!

• Garret 68 posts 308 karma points
    Oct 16, 2014 @ 13:56
    Garret

Hi Jake,

Can confirm the fix, setting copy local to true on both System.Web.Mvc and System.Web.Http solves the issue for now.

tnx

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft