Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Scott Schluer 1 post 21 karma points
    Oct 18, 2014 @ 01:54
    Scott Schluer

Extending Umbraco in Azure

Hello,

I recently created a new Azure website using the Umbraco template. After watching some of the Umbraco tutorial videos, I feel like I could easily extend certain aspects of the site (adding SurfaceControllers, etc) if I had created the code locally in VS and then pushed to Azure.

However, since Im using an Azure-created deployment and I don't have access to a Visual Studio solution representing that installtion, how do I go about adding custom functionality? I'm trying to learn here and do some basic stuff like add a contact form using a custom SurfaceController.

I would imagine there's a way to import an assembly or something but is there documentation or a tutorial on how to extend Umbraco in a hosted situation like this? Just need a push in the right direction.

Thanks!

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Oct 20, 2014 @ 10:41
    Dan Lister

Hi Scott,

You have a couple of options...

• Pull down the code from your Azure Website, create a Visual Studio project from it, make your changes and push the site back up to the Azure Website. You can get FTP access details via the Website in the Azure Management Portal.
    • Create a local Umbraco instance and develop a custom package. In the package, you could include a custom assembly which contains your Surface Controllers. Once created, you'll be able to install it via the Developer section of Umbraco on your Azure Website.

Thanks, Dan.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft