Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phil 54 posts 139 karma points
    Oct 21, 2014 @ 15:41
    Phil

Using Content Type Picker type as Macro parameter 7.1.8

So I'm attempting to utilize the Content Type Picker as a parameter for a macro.

When adding the macro to a page, I select the content type with alias "myType".

How do I retrieve the alias of the document type in the partial view of the macro?

Currently, I am using:

var type = Model.MacroParameters["myType"];

which gives the ID of the document type. Can I retrieve the alias of the document type using the ID?

• Comment author was deleted

Oct 21, 2014 @ 16:19

Hey,

Yes you'll need to fetch the content doc based on the id, you can do that with var content = Umbraco.Content(Model.MacroParameters["myType"]); var doctype = content.DocumentTypeAlias;

Oct 21, 2014 @ 16:23
    Phil

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply - using the code you provided, docType is returning an empty object, with ID = 0, name = "" and base being empty.

Oct 21, 2014 @ 16:29

and is content returning anything, like content.Name ?

Oct 21, 2014 @ 16:30

You can check the cheatsheet to see which properties are available http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/umbraco-v6-mvc-razor-cheatsheets

Phil

Content is also empty.

and is there a value in Model.MacroParameters["myType"] ? 

Oct 21, 2014 @ 16:33
    Phil

There is, it is given as 1089, with the row in the umbracoNode table with ID 1089 having the relevant and correct document type alias in the 'text' column.

Oct 21, 2014 @ 17:25

That should be the correct code so not sure what is going wrong, are you getting any errors?

Oct 21, 2014 @ 17:34
    Phil

No, I'm not receiving any errors, just empty objects.

When I hard code the ID of a content item of type alias 'documentType1', then the docType is returned as the correct alias. Could there be a reason why this doesn't work for the type itself?

• Danny Blatant 91 posts 358 karma points
    Oct 21, 2014 @ 17:45
    Danny Blatant

That's strange, I am using a similar set up on one of my Partial View Macro's. Here's my code with some test values

<pre>@Model.MacroParameters["defaultSelection"];</pre>
    @{
        IPublishedContent test = Umbraco.TypedContent((int)Model.MacroParameters["defaultSelection"]);
    }
    <pre>@test.Name</pre>
    <pre>@test.Url</pre>
    <pre>@test.DocumentTypeAlias</pre>

Notes:

• Perhaps it's because Umbraco.Content(int) returns a dynamic object, perhaps not. Use TypedContent to get a strongly typed object back.
    • I found that when using Umbraco.Content or Umbraco.TypedContent it's useful to add the cast to int just in case, as it can cause an exception otherwise...
    • This only works in the PartialMacroView (i.e. inherited from Umbraco.Web.Macros.PartialViewMacroPage), if you are using the syntax @Html.Action("Index", "MySurface") syntax inside your PVM view to call a SurfaceController, you'll need to pass the MacroParameter to the Surface controller too as its not available by the time you get to the partial underneath the controller...

Any help??

Regards,

Danny "Blatant"

Oct 21, 2014 @ 17:55
    Danny Blatant

A little further, it seems the cast does not work as expected either (not sure why but the parameter is not of type string but of type object (which is a string???). I was getting exceptions when casting so here's the code I changed to:

@{
      if (!Model.MacroParameters["defaultSelection"].ToString().IsNullOrWhiteSpace()
        && Model.MacroParameters["defaultSelection"].ToString() != "null")
      {
        int ContentId;
        Int32.TryParse(Model.MacroParameters["defaultSelection"].ToString(), out ContentId);
        IPublishedContent test = Umbraco.TypedContent(ContentId);
        <pre>@test.Name</pre>
        <pre>@test.Url</pre>
        <pre>@test.DocumentTypeAlias</pre>
      }
      else
      {
        <pre>Parameter is Null</pre>
      }
    }

Oct 22, 2014 @ 09:17
    Phil

@Danny

Unfortunately I still get a null object - could this be a bigger issue than it seems at first glance?

Oct 22, 2014 @ 09:35
    Phil

I have found a solution that retrieves the document type alias using the content type picker data type:

//get current content type service
    var myContentTypeService = ApplicationContext.Current.Services.ContentTypeService;

//get ID of selected content type
    int typeID = Convert.ToInt32(Model.MacroParameters["myType"].ToString());

//get content type object using ID
    IContentType myContentType = myContentTypeService.GetContentType(typeID);

//retrieve alias
    String alias = myContentType.Alias;

Appreciate the help, thanks!

Oct 22, 2014 @ 10:10
    Danny Blatant

-1 point to me for not reading the question properly.

I gave you a solution for the Content Picker Data Type not the Content Type Picker Data Type. Where I loaded an IPublishedContent you needed to load an IContentType, My Bad.

Good solution though.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Nov 06, 2015 @ 22:37
    Nicholas Westby

Where are you seeing the Content Type Picker data type? I don't see one in my installation of Umbraco 7, and could actually use one at the moment.

• Ali Robertson 13 posts 112 karma points
    May 09, 2017 @ 07:22
    Ali Robertson

Just went through this entire process myself. Thanks for documenting a solution. I wasn't crazy! This is a bloody awful control!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft