Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Khaled Hikmat 1 post 21 karma points
    Oct 24, 2014 @ 18:34
    Khaled Hikmat

Installing Umbraco 7 from VS2013 to Azure

Hello, I am very new to Umbraco! I started out with VS2013 empty project, installed UmbracoCMS using Nuget and deployed from VS2013 to Azure. It seems to work ok.

The question is: as I add partials, templates, document types, scripts etc using the site, how can I keep my VS2013 project in sync with the changes happening on the site? I know I can FTP the site down and copy into my VS project ...but this is error prone as I would not be sure what actullay changed. As I learn more, I would like to extends my project by adding surface controllers and other stuff. So I would like to be able to publish from VS. Possible? Please execuse my ignorance...2 hours ago was the first time I heard about Umbraco!

Thanks & Regards,

Khaled

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Nov 05, 2014 @ 07:17
    Funka!

My approach is do all your development on your local machine, in VS 2013 and with SQL Server Express. When it is time to deploy your changes and updates, publish from VS2013 at the same time you copy your SQL Express database over to your production Azure SQL Database. You can do this by either backing up and restoring, or what I prefer to use are some tools from Red Gate software called SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare which make this very easy to see exactly what's changing. For me, deploying takes maybe 1 minute. I'm sure I could automate this a bit more if I wanted, but I don't deploy that often.

If you are using the "compact SqlCE," please don't. Move to a proper SQL Server or SQL Server Express database as soon as possible. If not you will eventually lose data and work due to bugs in the current implementation of this. No one talks about this much until you get stung by it.

Now of course, this whole approach I just mentioned only works if you are NOT going to be doing any updates or development or something like user-generated content on the production server, or else you can imagine this will get reset/wiped over every time you deploy from your local machine. But you said you were "adding partials, doc types, scripts etc." so I'm not sure exactly what your setup is like, but for those types of activities I would certainly prefer to do locally. This also gives you a great "backup", in case something locally gets ruined, you can always copy back whatever is on production to your local machine and "start over."

Best of luck to you!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft