Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Nov 07, 2014 @ 10:29
    Mark Bennett

Umbraco 7 or Sharepoint 2013 - views please :)

Hi All,

I'm currently working for an organisation in the UK and their current site runs on Sharepoint 2010. They are looking at migrating it to Sharepoint 2013 and after listening to some of the MS spiel the newer Sharepoint seems to do web content management better than it did previously. I fully understand that it does way more than just content management and i'm currently investigating if they actually use any of the other features it provides.

Does anyone have any real world opinions on why using Umbraco 7 would be soooo much better to use for a straight web content management systems?

Anyone had to migrate from a Sharepoint 2013 system into Umbraco due to issues etc?

My own opinion is that Sharepoint is a big clunky beast and for a straight web content management system is totally OTT. Umbraco is designed specifically for that job and is therefore lightweight, faster and of course way sexier ;) But of course I need some information / documentation / real world stats to back this all up.

Most of the documentation and informaiton i've found online seems to be based on the older versions of both products but i'm still looking :(

Grateful of any opinions,
    Mark..

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Nov 07, 2014 @ 10:38
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Mark,

Coming from a consultancy role in a previous life. SharePoint is for Document management. Ideal for intranets in larger organizations. You can extend it but the workflow for that is not ideal. The one thing I would never use SharePoint for is Public facing websites. To convince you , just view the source :)

I have done migrations in the past for a few customers using SharePoint They gave me an XML export and I used CMSImport to import those into Umbraco.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best,

Richard

• Dave Forster 28 posts 74 karma points
    Nov 07, 2014 @ 11:02
    Dave Forster

I'd echo the sentiment that I wouldn't recommend using SP for a public facing website - there are many better alternatives, not just Umbraco. However, there are also other things to consider.. such as SLA's and training requirements.

If the organisation you're working with requires enterprise grade platforms and equivalent SLA's then Umbraco may not be the best choice. Also, you need to consider the potential retraining of content editors who have been used to working with SP for the last X years. It may be nicer, easier, more convenient to develop with platforms like Umbraco but it may not necessarily fit with a clients business requirements etc

Just my thoughts

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 07, 2014 @ 16:38
    Tim

Pretty much what Richard and Dave have said. If it's public facing, I'm not sure I'd use Sharepoint, unless it has to tightly integrate with other systems they have that also use Sharepoint, and even then, for a public facing site, I'd go lightweight site and just use web services or whatever to hook into the other systems.

I've used Richard's excellent CMSImport to import from all sorts of systems, including Sharepoint and event Lotus Notes, and it works really well.

In terms of user friendliness, Umbraco beats Sharepoint hands down, and I've found it much easier to maintain and extend going forward. As Dave has mentioned though, if all their inhouse guys are trained on SP, they may be really familiar with it and have lots of support structures in place for it. That said, they may hate it.

Hope that helps!

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Nov 10, 2014 @ 20:08
    Mark Bennett

Hi All,

Thanks for responding I really appreciate the input. It goes with my views on what Sharepoint can do compared to a proper web content management system.

Lets hope it helps me change the views of the powers that be that Sharepoint 2013 is a bad idea for the public facing site.

Mark...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft