Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Adriano Fabri 459 posts 1602 karma points
    Nov 08, 2014 @ 01:59
    Adriano Fabri

How to change Umbraco 7 backoffice skin?

Hi,
    there is a documentation about Umbraco 7 backoffice skin?
    I would customize it.

Thanks
    AF

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 08, 2014 @ 09:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi AF

No there is no documentation on how to do it since.

I believe it's because it's not advised to do so. If you for some reason need to upgrade your Umbraco installation you need to do your skinning all over again since your files will be overwritten or perhaps there are structure changes so you need to modify a file somewhere else than where you used to modify it.

That being said it's of course not impossible - Just not advisable to do it.

You should probably explore the /umbraco_client directory since this contains the files the backoffice uses - Then it's a matter of trial and error. But make sure to recycle your app pool and clear the browser cache every time you make a change in order to be able to see if the changes take effect.

May I ask why and what you wish to skin? If it's because you want to correct some styling issues perhaps it's a better idea to file issues on the issue tracker about it?

/Jan

• Adriano Fabri 459 posts 1602 karma points
    Nov 10, 2014 @ 12:18
    Adriano Fabri

Hi Jan,
    sorry for delay and thanks for the answer.

I received a request to customize the backoffice colors and put the client logo in all bo pages.

My question was, then, if there is a skin manager or if there is a documentation that I use to do that...but only to speed up the editing.

I didn't found any issue in bo

Adriano

Nov 10, 2014 @ 20:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Adriano

Yup I get that :)

But no there is no skin manager due to the reasons I've mentioned above.

But sometimes clients wants what clients wants :)

/Jan

• Phill 115 posts 288 karma points
    Nov 10, 2014 @ 21:01
    Phill

I have always found that the spacing in the U7 back office is horrible. There's far too much padding which requires unnecessary scrolling when editing content. There are a few other quirks that drive me crazy so I've slowly been building an umbraco-custom.css file that customizes the backed. It is a minor pain that I have to edit /Umbraco/Views/default.cshtml every time I upgrade to include this extra css file but it's well worth it to have a back office with improved usability (IMO). You might be able to use this approach for some or most of your chagnes. If you keep them all to CSS changes then you only ever have to update the one view to include it after every upgrade.

Just my 2 cents, hope that helps a bit.

Phill

Nov 10, 2014 @ 21:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Phil

I agree that certain areas of the backoffice UI could certainly be improved - And I hope that you and others don't hesitate to file issues on the issue tracker so the backoffice experience can be improved. If it's not reported it will not be changed - Maybe you can even contribute some of the changes to the core :)

Cheers, Jan

• Naveen Ahuja 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 24, 2014 @ 13:18
    Naveen Ahuja

Hi Adriano

If you wish to change the backoffice logo, the texts above login textboxes (manic monday etc) , url to go backoffice(url/umbraco to url/sitename) and backgound color, you(as developer) have to do it manually from the windows explorer(folder browser) but your client can't change from backoffice. The above changes are possible but i don't know about the licensing.  If it does not violate it and you just have to change it once and deliver ,i 'll just post here the procedure.

Cheers

Naveen

• MikeD 92 posts 112 karma points
    Jan 21, 2015 @ 20:59
    MikeD

I have a weird request from a client... hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.  They want me to change the lable "Members" to "Clients" and "Member Groups" to "Prospect Groups" in the backoffice.  They have been advised this is a dumbass idea, but they insist.  Can anyone tell me where to accomplish this idiotic task please?

Jan 21, 2015 @ 21:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mike

Well this should not be that hard actually.

You should have a look in the /umbraco/config/lang folder where you can see the different translations of the backoffice. Try opening the "en.xml" file and search for "Members". Then you should be able to find the labels that should be translated.

If you're having editors that use other languages you will ned to do it in the other translation files as well.

Remember to recycle the app pool once the changes are made. This should do the trick.

But as mentioned earlier this will need to be done again if you at some point need to upgrade.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 21, 2015 @ 22:11
    MikeD

Hi Jan,

That did indeed help, it got me most of what I need.  Now the option in the menu says Clients, and when you go to that section it says Prospect Groups and Client Types.  I cannot seem to find where to change the Members label though.  I have changed every instance of Members in that xml file.  

Jan 22, 2015 @ 05:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mike

Ah yes to change that label you probably need to have a look in the /config/trees.config file in order to change the name of the tree perhaps.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 22, 2015 @ 05:33
    MikeD

Tried that before I posted the first time.  No luck there.

Jan 22, 2015 @ 07:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mike

Hmm, ok...should be in those language files somewhere then. That would also make more sense since the "Members" label should be easily translatable as well. Don't know if it might be in the ui.xml file if you go into the folder next to the "lang" folder?

If not it should be in the en.xml somewhere. But it might have become hardcoded for some reason, it might not.

/Jan

Jan 22, 2015 @ 20:00
    MikeD

I have searched and searched and cannot find that last one.  I appreciate the help you have given me, it did get most of the stuff I needed.  

If anyone else has any ideas...  

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 14:05
    Dennis Adolfi

In an attempt to help you out i tried changing the language of my umbraco v7.2.0 core to "Swedish" and thereby have a narrower searchterm to look for in the code, but it still says "Members" in the backoffice.

I then had a look in one of our clients umbraco websites (v7.1.0) and changed the language to "Danish" and same problem there. See image.

Maybe this is fixed in the latest version, i dont know. Or maybe its like Jan says: It should be in the language files, but it might be hardcoded for some reason.

7.1.0 with Danish language:

enter image description here

7.2.0 with Swedish language:

enter image description here

Jan 23, 2015 @ 15:41
    MikeD

Thanks Dennis, it's great to know I didn't miss something.  Hopefully client will be satisfied with what I have done and I won't have to go digging through code.

Jan 23, 2015 @ 16:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mike

Might be worth filing a bug report on the issue tracker about this ? It should be possible to do using the language files only.

I'll be happy to vote it up if you file it :)

/Jan

Jan 23, 2015 @ 16:54
    MikeD

Good idea..

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6175

Thanks for all the help guys.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft