Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rigo 15 posts 45 karma points
    Nov 14, 2014 @ 16:29
    Rigo

Using Umbraco 7.1.9 for a client project?

Hi

I am thinking about using Umbraco 7.1.9 for a new client project. But I had a few issues that scare me a little bit.

When developing on my local machine and doing a build it suddenly happens, when refreshing the currently displayed page, that Umbraco says "No template exists to render the document at url ...". The only (easy) way to display the page is to republish in the backend or to call another page. After that, the other page is diplayed as usual.

Or Tag-Autocompletion seems to cache very hard. When adding a never used tag to a page, the Autocomplete-Dropdown does not display the new tag. I have to logout, clear the cache, close the browser, start the browser, login again and load the page again holding the shift-key down. This solves the problem in most but not any cases. I set compilation debug=true und do not cache the content (Firebug Network Tab or Chrome Developer Tools). But it doesn't make a difference. I am using Windows 7 64, VS 2012 and SQLExpress 2008.

So I am wondering if some of you have experienced other/the same problems especially on a live project or if it is just my local machine messing up things?

Should I go for 7.1.9 or stay within the 6.x branch?

Any thoughts/experiences are really welcome.

Thank you
    Rigo

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 14, 2014 @ 17:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rigo

Those issues sound a bit weird...

How do you create the content pages? Is it done from within Umbraco or some other way? If it's done using the API you need to make sure that you refresh the XML cache for instance.

In regards to tags...are you using the built in tag property editor? It might be something that needs to be reported on the issue tracker. Could there be an alternative way to tag your nodes perhaps? Building a custom property editor or making a content branch/repository in the content section where you define your the possible tags?

I would not hesitate using 7.1.9 for a client project.

If you go with v6 you should be aware that it's probably only going to get updated if any critical bugs needs fixing etc. - In short it's in maintainance mode and the main focus is on v7, which means that bugs etc. are fixed more regularly in v7 than it's probably going to be on v6 since new installs on v6 are < 10%...

/Jan

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Nov 14, 2014 @ 18:06
    Nicholas Westby

The tag cache issue should be fixed in 7.2: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-5400

IIRC, my temporary workaround was to set the cache period to something like 10 seconds.

Regarding pages that disappear, I've seen similar when working across multiple environments (e.g., cache updated on one machine, but not the other), but that may not be what you are experiencing. There could be any number of causes... would need more details (screenshots and such) to figure it out.

FWIW, I am making multiple websites on the latest Umbraco 7 versions.

Nov 14, 2014 @ 18:09
    Jan Skovgaard

When you're having a setup where multiple dev's are working on the same project sharing the same database then changes made an computer A won't be visible on the frontend on Computer B before the XML cache has been republished by using the "Republish entire site" function when right clicking the "CONTENT" node in the content section.

So that's expected behaviour since the XML cache is local for each machine. Just adding this to clarify things in regards to the comment Nicholas made above.

/Jan

Nov 14, 2014 @ 19:24
    Rigo

Dear all

Thank you for your quick reply!

@Jan
    I create all the content pages, doc types, templates in Umbraco. Afterwards I switch to VS to edit the templates. There are some helper classes I wrote located in the App_Code folder are built.

Just a suspicion - yesterday, I installed a new version of my anti virus software. Perhaps this interferes with the build process / cache creation in some way. I will post an update if this turns out to be the trouble maker.

Regarding the tags, yes, I use the the built in tag property editor and a custom data type based on the built in tag property editor (because I need a second tag group). I was already thinking about doing my own custom tag editor and having a repository, as you suggested, in combination with a Multi Node Picker to assign them, seems to be a could way. On the other hand I would loose a lot of built in functionality to handle tags. That is why I will wait for the 7.2 release which will hopefully have corrected the bug as Nicolas posted.

If there are any news I will post them.

Someone else with experiences with live projects on 7.x ?

Have a nice weekend, Jan and Nicolas
    Rigo

Nov 14, 2014 @ 19:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rigo

I think that maybe the antivirus could in fact interfere - I know that Umbraco sometimes have issues installing if certain antivirus software is active. Don't know if it's still an issue though...last time I heard about it was 2 years ago I think. But I'm curious about what you find out :)

Have a nice weekend.

/Jan

Nov 17, 2014 @ 19:25
    Rigo

Just a short follow-up on this thread.

I was able to reproduce the weird thing with losing the template on my office pc. Therefore I don't thing that my pc @home or the antivirus is to blame.

Whenever I do a build and then call the affected page ( http://localhost:63129/contact/ ), I got this error message:

Page not found
    No template exists to render the document at url '/contact/'.
    In addition, no template exists to render the custom 404.
    This page can be replaced with a custom 404. Check the documentation for "custom 404".
    This page is intentionally left ugly ;-)

When calling any other page first, the other page works. After that, the contact page does work as well. Calling the page first, but by id ( http://localhost:63129/1101 ) does work as well.Or calling a page in the backend and then calling "contact" also works. As it would be a timing issue.

The strange thing is, and no, I'm not drunk ;-), when labeling the page other than "contact", lets say "contact us" "or contact form", there is no problem. Using the same document type one level below ( as subpage -  http://localhost:63129/forum/contact/ ) does also work.

I am quite sure that it is not a caching issue, because I deleted the browser cache, shut down the browser, IISExpress and VS, deleted umbraco.config and started again. Same problem.

So it is weird, as if "contact" is a forbidden word ;-)

Luckily I can work around it by just using a different name.

Thank you again for your help, Jan and Nicholas
    Rigo

Nov 17, 2014 @ 19:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rigo

Thank you for sharing what you found out with us.

It's indeed some weird scenarios...I think it might be a good idea to file a bug report about it with steps on how to reproduce issue tracker

Cheers, Jan

Nov 17, 2014 @ 20:46
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft