Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter S 169 posts 587 karma points
    Nov 17, 2014 @ 11:25
    Peter S

Access rights in back-end

I'm using the "super admin" account on our Umbraco 7 site and I just tried creating an editor for content publishing. I set it to  the "editor" role, gave the user access to the section content, media and translation. The start nodes of content and media is the roots. The permissions of the editor role are all checked.

When this newly created user logs in the sections pane is blank and all you can do is browse the content tree. When clicking a node the user can't see node information, can't create any new child nodes, nothing. When I click Do something else > Create I get a message saying "There are no allowed document types available. You must enable these in the settings section under 'document types'.". There are a number of document types already created.

There has been another user added as well, althought this user is member of the administrator user type. When I log in using this user the scenario is the same as the editor mentioned above. The "super admin" created when first installing Umbraco is the only user that can actually do anthing in the back-end.

What might be causing this? Feels like I've checked every checkbox available.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Nov 17, 2014 @ 11:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Peter

Hmm, that's weird. If you go to the "Users permission" and select the user maybe you need to setup the access on the root node there and make sure to inherit the settings from the root node to the child nodes. Does that work?

I think it could be a workaround more than a solution since, if I remember correctly, that the above scenario should work out of the box. But it's been a while since I've been adding users to the backoffice unfortunately.

What exact version of v7 are you using?

/Jan

Nov 17, 2014 @ 13:27
    Peter S

I tried doing that but it seems like it hangs. After comfirming setting allt the access to -1 the taskbar just runs and runs.

We're in 7.1.4.

Nov 17, 2014 @ 13:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Peter

Hmm ok...have you checked the /app_data/logs file to see if it reveals some related information about this issue? Are you guys having any Umbraco API integration, which could interfere with something? Or how about 3rd party packages?

It might be worth trying to do a clean installation of 7.1.8 to see if this behavior can be reproduced in this version or not. If it can't then upgrading may be the way forward. Otherwise it seems like it could be a bug that should be reported.

/Jan

Nov 17, 2014 @ 14:10
    Peter S

We're doing some IIS redirects, making sure that everything goes through https. If I brosw through IP instead of the domain, it all works fine. Any idea why? And should I report it?

Nov 17, 2014 @ 17:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Peter

Hmm, not sure why that would work rather then using the domain.

Does the /app_data/logs file reveal anything when you're browsing using the domain? Anything marked with error or warning? How about the console log in your browser? Does it show any errors? What about the network tab?

/Jan

Nov 18, 2014 @ 08:39
    Peter S

Before I checked I messed around with some of the redirect settings and it seems to have fixed it. Now it works as expected. Sorry to say I have no idea what fixed it, though.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft