Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin 8 posts 39 karma points
    Nov 18, 2014 @ 16:33
    Martin

Login after install

Hi guys. I have tried installing Umbraco on a webhost, but have run into a few problems. My host uses MySQL on a Unix server, giving problems with case on db table names. I cannot use the lower_case_table_names=1 fix, as the host wont allow it, but have tried renaming all tables, so they are now all in upper case.
    Unfortunately I don't know if that worked, as I am now facing the login screen, which does not respond at all to clicking the login button - no error msg, no nothing. Even log4net tracelog is showing nothing.

Anyone has any suggestions as t what I can do, any logging possibilities or other output that might give a clue to what is happening? It could still be related to the mysql case issue, but I dont know how to check this.

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Nov 18, 2014 @ 16:39
    Dan Lister

Hi Martin,

I'm fairly certain Umbraco will not work if you rename it's tables. Being presented with the login screen is a typical sign that something is wrong with Umbraco's database connection. You could check the log files to narrow down any errors. You can find the log files in /App_Data/Logs/.

Could you use SqlCE instead of MySQL?

Thanks, Dan.

• Martin 8 posts 39 karma points
    Nov 18, 2014 @ 16:52
    Martin

Update: It semmingly does NOT work to just update table names to uppercase, as Umbraco sometimes uses normal case names - this is true for login, and was the reason I could not login. Now after having renamed the table names back to their original mixed casing, I can log in, but I cannot create new content and a lot of other stuff. Quite a bad bug for us MySQL/Unix people :( Will try to pursuade my host to set lower_case_table_names=1, but I believe this will not happen...

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Nov 18, 2014 @ 17:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Martin and welcome to our :)

What exact version of Umbraco have you been installing? If it's 7 MySQL is not supported out of the box per system requirments here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/system-requirements

In v6 there were some issues as well. I think the reason is that it's hard for the HQ to maintain support for it but I'm sure the community and the HQ will appreciate it if some community members will enable MySQL support in the core and maintain the support for it. There were some issues with v6 as well I think.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft