Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nathan 67 posts 146 karma points
    Nov 19, 2014 @ 09:25
    Nathan

Hide node in Content Tree

Hi,

I have 2 main nodes in my content tree (2 sites), each with pages, subpages ...

Content
       Site 1
       Site 2

How can I completely hide Site 2 node from content tree temporarily and then show it back when I need to?

Thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 19, 2014 @ 09:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

Would it be possible to simply unpublish the site? Or do you need to be able to access it meanwhile others should not be able to see it?

/Jan

Nov 19, 2014 @ 09:38
    Nathan

The latter one. I just don't want the client to see the node at all in BO in content tree, or disable browsing it at all. I don't necessarily want to be able to access it. Thanks.

Nov 19, 2014 @ 09:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

Ok, then you can disable browsing of the node the clients user profile.

In the "Users" section go to "User permissions" and select the client user(s) and on the screen the appears click the "Site 2" node and then remove the checkmark from "Browse this node".

Save this and then try logging in using the clinets login and check that the node is not visible anymore.

This should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Nov 19, 2014 @ 10:13
    Nathan

Thanks. that worked. However I changed my user type from administrator to writer (then saved) and now I cannot change it back to administrator because the option is gone. How can I change it back ?

Nov 19, 2014 @ 10:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

Never ever change the main administrator type - Unfortunately it's currently not easy to become admin once you have changed the type to something else than administrator.

I thought you already had created a certain user type for your client, which you would test it on.

I have not tried this scenario myself before though but you'll need to go into the database and change the user type directly from there. But before doing so I recommend that you take a backup so you don't loose data if something should go wrong.

However if you know your way around the database it should be a fairly simple operation to change it back. You need to go to the umbracoUser table and change the userType to 1, which is the administrator account

Hope this helps :)

/Jan

Nov 19, 2014 @ 10:39
    Nathan

Ok. Changed userType to 1 from database, however in BO I still don't have the administrator as user type or the option to change to administrator

Nov 19, 2014 @ 10:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dan

Hmm ok, that's weird. Don't know if you perhaps need to clear the cache, recycle the app pool etc. before it's working again perhaps.

Try doing this

1: Go to the /app_data/TEMP folder and delete it's contents 2: Go to the /config/ClientDependency.config file and increment the version number attribute 3: Recycle the app pool (Touch the web.config)

Does that make any difference?

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft