Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David 28 posts 156 karma points
    Nov 21, 2014 @ 09:05
    David

Advice: Multilanguage in Umbraco 7

Hello community,

i need an advice of you.
    It is about creating multilanguage pages and whats the best way to do this.

Using: Umbraco 7.1.8

I've created in Umbraco two folders called "de" and "en". Each of them contains 6 pages.
    In "de" are all the german ones and in "en" the english ones (declared in culture and hostnames).
    Now I would like to know if this was the best way.

For example: If you have 5 languages and you are creating a new page this is getting exhausting, because you have to create this page in each language.
    Is there an easier way to maintain this problem or am I doing the best way yet?

I'm just asking to be sure I'm doing it right and to spare some work in case my project is getting bigger (which it is definitely going to be).

I've posted a screenshot below :

Thank you for helping me!

Sincerely David :)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 21, 2014 @ 09:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

I think that above method is the most common method of dealing with multiple languages in Umbraco.

You could use a tabs based approach instead where you only have one site and then multiple tabs but that is going to be even more messy when you add more languages so that's not the way to go at all imho.

The benefit of having seperate sites like you have is that you can have different trees pr. language if you need some stuff in english that does not make sense to have on the german site.

Also you can easily change the structure of the english site without it affecting the german site for instance.

Hope this helps :)

/Jan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 21, 2014 @ 13:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi David

I might add that the vorto package might be handy if you would try another approach to doing multilangual sites btw. Completely forgot about it in my first reponse. http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/vorto

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft