Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rae Melton 10 posts 72 karma points
    Nov 21, 2014 @ 20:54
    Rae Melton

Link to Document property changes every other publish

We're using Umbraco version 7.1.6 with .NET 4.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I was noticing an issue when I updated my Home page in the content section and hit "Save & Publish" that every other time I was getting a template error and the rest of the time the page loaded just fine. I checked the General Properties tab and noticed that my "Link to Document" was alternating between the basic "/" to "/home/" from one publish to the next.

Apparently when the publish puts my current content at the "/home/" location, the normal "/" gets changed to an old version of my "Home" page that I previously deleted (which explains the template error because I also deleted the old template the old home was using).

Any thoughts on how to clear this up? I've been digging around in the server files and can't really make heads or tales of where this mix-up could be happening.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 21, 2014 @ 21:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rae and welcome to our :)

Not quite sure why this is happening - However if possible it might be worth considering doing an upgrade to 7.1.8? Just in case this might be a bug, which may have been fixed in this release? If you decide to do so please make sure to make a backup of your database and your files before progressing. You can see the general upgrade guidelines here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/general and the guidelines for 7.1.8 in the release notes here http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/718

Before trying this option there are a few things you could try doing though

1: Have you tried simply republishing the entire site? Right click the "Content" node and choose the "Republish the entire site". This will update the XML cache.

2: Try clearing the Umbraco cache by following these steps 2.1: Go to the /app_data/TEMP/ and delete it's content 2.2: Go to the /config/ClientDependency.config file and increment the version attribute 2.3: Recycle the app pool 2.4: Does that help any?

Is this happening on a local instance or on a server instance btw?

/Jan

Nov 21, 2014 @ 21:38
    Rae Melton

I tried both 1 and 2 just now, but I'm still having the issue. I will try updating to 7.1.8 to see if that clears anything up.

Nov 21, 2014 @ 22:20
    Rae Melton

Ok, even after updating to 7.1.8 I'm still getting the flip-flop on the Link.

This is a server instance of Umbraco.

Nov 21, 2014 @ 22:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rae

Hmm, that's really odd.

It does not look like you have added a hostname for the root document of the site - What happens if you do this?

Have you tried looking in the /app_data/logs file to see if it reveals anything?

/Jan

Nov 21, 2014 @ 22:52
    Rae Melton

Unfortunately it just lists what gets displayed on the page when my "Home" page gets published to /home/ and I navigate to the root in the browser:

2014-11-21 15:41:48,182 [8] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - [Thread 19] An unhandled exception occurred
    System.InvalidOperationException: The template with Id 1119 does not exist, the page cannot render
       at Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.FindTemplate()
       at Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.FindPublishedContentAndTemplate()
       at Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.PrepareRequest()
       at Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.ProcessRequest(HttpContextBase httpContext)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Like I mentioned earlier, I think there's some remnant of my old "Home" page in the Content configuration somewhere and when my current "Home" page gets published to /home/, the old one takes the place at the root and can't find its document template.

I'd rather not have to wipe it and set everything back up from scratch :(

Nov 21, 2014 @ 23:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rae

Ok...have you assigned the template to your home document type in the "Settings" section?

When you go to the "Home" page in the content tree and look under the "Properties" tab is the template then selected?

/Jan

Nov 21, 2014 @ 23:04
    Rae Melton

Here's my Settings page:

And here's the Home page under Content:

In this state, if I load the root of this site in the browser, I get the "Template not found" error. However, if I hit "Publish" on my Home page here, "Link to document" changes back to just "/" and my site loads perfectly.

• jivan thapa 194 posts 681 karma points
    Nov 23, 2014 @ 10:14
    jivan thapa

Does it give same behaviors on the "Global Footer Links", and "Site Phone Numbers" nodes as well?

Does it switch the base "/" and "/node url" on those nodes as well?

1) Try to restore the Home node (the old that has been deleted) from recycle if there is any. or 2) You may need to delete Home node from recycle, if there is any. and see whats happen.

Nov 27, 2014 @ 17:00
    Rae Melton

Sorry for the delay (it's holiday here). The old Home has long since been deleted from the recycling bin, otherwise i would have tried to restore it and go from there. The other two top links don't actualy resolve to pages as they're document types without templates, but I haven't observed the same url behavior with those nodes as I have with the Home node.

Thank you guys for all your help withthis so far!

• Splinx 50 posts 186 karma points
    Oct 17, 2018 @ 09:26
    Splinx

Hi Guys,

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue?

I am getting the EXACT same behavior on 7.8.1.

Cheers,

Splinx

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft