Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• andrew shearer 510 posts 659 karma points
    Nov 26, 2014 @ 23:26
    andrew shearer

migrating/rebuilding from 4 to 7

Hello

Looking for some advice and/or hearing from people who have upgraded existing sites from 4 to 7.

Background: because we a rebuilding the website, our implementation plan is to develop the new site using a fresh Umbraco 7 install, and when it comes to the production deploy/upgrade, change the umbracoConfigurationStatus value from 7 back to the current version 4.9.1 so that on start-up sequence the Umbraco database upgrade path is followed. Is this suitable? i.e. we shouldn’t need to follow http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/v7-upgrade because we’re not upgrading the existing website code, we’re completely rebuilding that, so its only the backoffice that needs migrating and upgrading at production go-live so that existing content is retained.

looking forward to hearing your recent experiences/thinking.

thanks

• Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13631 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Nov 27, 2014 @ 00:34
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Andrew,

It's a good plan, but you need to check for all your v4 property editors have replacements and for some like MNTP or DAMP that were storing XML, these need to be converted to CSV. There is a project called Imulus Phoenix Converters to help with this.

Hope that's helpful,

Jeavon

• andrew shearer 510 posts 659 karma points
    Nov 27, 2014 @ 00:40
    andrew shearer

Thanks.

Yeah, the upgrade wizard produced a report for me of the data types that need replacing, 15 in total.

My thinking was that during the development of the rebuild we could replace and integrate the data types appropriately, and then when I comes to go-live we could content-freeze the production environment for a period of time, upgrade the site and apply the necessary datatype changes against the migrated content, regression test and then make live.

• Jeavon Leopold 3074 posts 13631 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Nov 27, 2014 @ 00:43
    Jeavon Leopold

Yes, that will be fine, converting the XML to CSV data should be the only real complication and the Phoenix Converters will help with that.

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Dec 01, 2014 @ 08:04
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Andrew,

In case you want to try Migrating you could check out CMSImport V3 beta which has a provider to import from an old Umbraco installation http://soetemansoftware.nl/news/cmsimport-v3-beta-released I love to help you with this to remove the Beta from CMSImport V3 :)

Best,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft