Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Evans 86 posts 116 karma points
    Dec 02, 2014 @ 10:07
    Mark Evans

google sitemap suggestions

am seeking a sitemap i can submit to sites like google.. (xml)

is there a suitable package or a way to code this? i have a standard sitemap being created that just displays on my site as a list of links...

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 02, 2014 @ 10:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

You should be able to use the same code that generates your standard sitemap.

By making a copy of the code that generates the standard sitemap you should just need to change the elements, which are wrapping the content - And of course you need to strip the HTML etc. and put the url in the url attribute on the

Then you need to create a xmlsitemap template in the settings section -> templates and then add the sitemap macro on this template.

Does this make sense?

/Jan

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 02, 2014 @ 10:14
    Jeavon Leopold

I would also recommend you check out the SEO checker package, it's €99 per domain but does this and a whole lot more SEO goodness!

Dec 02, 2014 @ 10:50
    Mark Evans

thanks

i will consider that.. i have tried an umbraco package called cultivsearchenginesitemap that seems to work ok....

there is a requirement to have sitemaps for particular sections too... 

if i stick with the package it sets the start level (homepage) as

<xsl:with-param name="parent" select="$currentPage/ancestor-or-self::*[@level=1]"/>

Im not sure how i would amend this xslt line to start at a particular page (and its children) rather than the home page....

Dec 02, 2014 @ 10:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

What is your scenario? Don't you want to feed the whole site to the Google sitemap? if you need to leave some pages out you can easily just make a "Hide from Google Sitemap" setting on your nodes, just like when you need to hide certain pages from site navigation :)

/Jan

Dec 02, 2014 @ 10:59
    Mark Evans

to be honest im not sure... im being asked to create a sitemap for each section to "promote" them...

but like you i thought a single sitemap submitted to google was sufficient...

Dec 02, 2014 @ 11:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

Hmm ok, so perhaps it's not really a sitemap that you need? Sounds more like you need to make a google product feed if it's because you need to promote products? https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494?hl=en

If it's just for making it easier for Google to see and index the website then it's probably a XML sitemap that you need.

What does the XML structure you need to serve to Google look like?

/Jan

Dec 02, 2014 @ 11:25
    Mark Evans

its a standard xml sitempa, such as the one that the package cultivsearchenginesitemap is outputting...

<urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9 http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9/sitemap.xsd">
    <url>
    <lastmod>2014-11-19T09:36:48+00:00</lastmod>
    </url>
    <url>
    <lastmod>2014-11-19T09:36:50+00:00</lastmod>
    </url>
    <url>
    <lastmod>2014-11-19T09:36:50+00:00</lastmod>
    </url>
    i think i could use this for my additional sitemaps by copying the xslt/template/macro to a new name and changing the parent in the xslt...
    the existing (top level home) level is set here...
    <xsl:call-template name="drawNodes">
          <xsl:with-param name="parent" select="$currentPage/ancestor-or-self::*[@level=1]"/>
        </xsl:call-template>
    i would want to change this for my additional sitemaps to be a specific page id (and its children)...
    do you know how i would alter this xslt to do that?
    Dec 02, 2014 @ 11:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

Yup, then the above is what you need.

There really should not be too much work involved amending it to your needs since it's placed on it's own template, which can just be called like www.domain-1-com/xmlsitemap and www.domain-2.com/xmlsitemap and then it will give you the sitemap from the two different sites.

/Jan

Dec 02, 2014 @ 11:43
    Mark Evans

yes ive found that this specifies the actual page to start

<xsl:with-param name="parent" select="$currentPage/descendant-or-self::*[@id=1261]"/>

but while it shows all children of page 1261 it isnt including that actual page in the sitemap

Dec 02, 2014 @ 11:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

I usually just hardcode the first page in the feed before looping through all the other pages. It's not pretty, smart or clever but it works and gets the job done :)

/Jan

Dec 02, 2014 @ 11:50
    Mark Evans

ok could you just show how you do that... im not that familiar with xslt....

Dec 02, 2014 @ 11:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark

Sure - I can't remember what the XSLT for this looks like though but I can imagine that there is a for-each loop somehwere. Right about it you just hardcode it like this

<url>
       <loc>http://yourdomain.com</loc>;
    </url>

<xsl:for-each select="$someexpression goes here">

/Jan

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Dec 03, 2014 @ 08:34
    Richard Soeteman

HI Mark,

You can submit a single sitemap. I think you are after letting Google know that some pages are more important than others. This is done by setting the Priority and Change Frequency of a page.

As Jeavon mentioned SEOChecker could help you with this. You can even specify the Change Frequency and Priority on a document type level to avoid setting all these settings per page and helps you optimize the technical part of the site for SEO as well.

The Configure SEO Checker Video explains how this all works.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft