Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt 91 posts 237 karma points
    Dec 03, 2014 @ 12:25
    Matt

Very large media files - best practice

We are running an Umbraco 7.1.6 site that now requires very large videos (800MB-1.5GB) to be uploaded, and associated with Umbraco members and nodes.

I would normally just use the media library in Umbraco for this which makes things very simple, however for such large files there is no progress bar when uploading and sometimes errors are thrown or the upload never finishes - it's too sporadic.

The desktop media uploader used back in Umbraco 4 doesn't seem to be compatible either.

Does anyone have any best practice for this/advice or an alternative solution than the media picker? I thought about using FTP but then I am not sure how I would associate the individual videos to members and nodes, which umbraco media makes very simple.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Dec 03, 2014 @ 12:39
    Jeroen Breuer

I'm not sure if the Umbraco media section is the best place to put these videos. If you load these videos on the frontend through a video player it will probably be very slow. It might be better to just upload the videos to YouTube of Vimeo and embed them into your website. That way the performance is also better.

Jeroen

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 03, 2014 @ 12:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matt

As Jeroen says files of that size should not be uploaded into the Umbraco media library. Unless the videos must for some reason not be exposed on social video services then you should perhaps investigate options for video hosting for business like for instance http://wistia.com/ or such service instead.

Besides if for some reason a video file will be larger than 2GB then it's not possible to upload at all since the maximum in ASP.NET is 2GB.

Just my 2 cents.

/Jan

• Matt 91 posts 237 karma points
    Dec 03, 2014 @ 12:52
    Matt

Thanks for the quick responses!

Very good point, I did not think of the possible performance problems. I will start looking at external hosting of them.

One of the requirements is that the videos are protected - they are a paid for product. In the media library this would have been easy just to protect with Umbraco membership, but hosting externally it might be possible that the private link to the video is shared or exposed. But thats for another topic. :)

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Dec 03, 2014 @ 12:55
    Jesper Ordrup

Hi Matt,

I also recommend the youtube or vimeo solutions. They also may sure it works on all the devices. 

But - if these for some reason is not an option I'll suggest the following:

1. Upload the videos using FTP to some subfolder ie. /videos
    2. Create a custom property that allows you to select a video file 

A quick, easy but not so dirty alternative to step 2. is to make a new media type (or doctype) that the uploader can use to manually reference the uploaded files using a textfield where you can enter the relative path. And then add the corresponding picker to the membertype. This will allow  the editor to pick the videos.

best

Jesper 

edit: stumpled on: http://our.umbraco.org//projects/collaboration/filepicker

• rich hamilton 117 posts 136 karma points
    May 27, 2016 @ 13:54
    rich hamilton

I know this is quite an old topic but I am trying to use Wistia on my site. How do I configure the EmbeddedMedia.config for Wistia using their settings on here: https://wistia.com/doc/oembed#an_example

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft