Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jon Frederiksen 52 posts 111 karma points
    Dec 03, 2014 @ 13:37
    Jon Frederiksen

Is this a bug? - U 7.2RC document types

Considering using Umbraco 7.2RC for a new website because of tis new features.
    I’m not sure if this is a bug, but there is something wired when creating document types using inheritance.

Consider for instance this document type structure:
    Base
     à Navigation 
       à SEO 
         à Content (Base, Navigation & SEO will be reuse for other document types).

If I’m placing all tabs on the Base, they will all show when creating a new content item, along with all the properties.
    If I’m creating a new tab on the Content doctype only this tab and properities will show on the actual content item.

If this is a feature to be use in conjugation with Document Type Compositions, I don’t think is a smart one, forcing me to place all my tabs on the parent document type.
    So is it a bug?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 03, 2014 @ 13:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jan

Could you perhaps attach a screendump of this?

Sounds like a bug but not sure and would like to see it before suggesting you add it to the issue tracker.

What database are you running? Is it SQL CE?

/Jan

Dec 03, 2014 @ 13:50
    Jon Frederiksen

Hi Jan

And thanks for quick reply. Yes it's SQL CE.
    I'm though unsure of what/how to send you a screendump. There is no error per say, the content item will just not show the other tabs/properties inherited.
    It did to begin with, then after adding a new tab directly on the Content doctype, only this will be shown.

Dec 03, 2014 @ 13:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jan

Could you show a screendump of your document type settings and then what it looks like in your content section when browsing a node?

When it started to act up what changes was made to the solution then? Installation of a 3rd party package, ingegration with the Umbraco API to manipulate the backoffice?

Have you checked the /app_data/logs file to see if it reveals anything marked with ERROR or WARNING, which could be related to the issue?

Also...do you see anything in the browsers console log when navigating the backoffice?

/Jan

Dec 03, 2014 @ 14:29
    Jon Frederiksen

In the meanwhile, I deleted everything and started from scratch. The error is gone and cannot reproduce it.

The previous installation was a clean one, with only the Umbraco Forms activated.
    I do not have more time today, but I will get back here as soon as I can.
    I will try to retrace my steps and see if it was a "Blame the fool, not the tool" mistake. It's not my intention to waste anyone's time.

Thanks very much Jan

Dec 03, 2014 @ 14:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jan

Happy to hear it's gone for now but also curious if it can be reproduced. If so then please write the steps in here and also an issue at the issue tracker.

That way other who may experience the issue will know that it's a known issue, which has been reported so the HQ guys know about it and can fix it before the final release :)

/Jan

Dec 04, 2014 @ 12:51
    Jon Frederiksen

Hi Jan

Just an update.
    I think I partially” solved” the mystery around this issue, when using inheritance in building document types with the new compositions feature. All parent/children doctypes have their “Document Type Compositions” (under Structure) disabled (“This content type is used as a parent and/or in a composition, and therefore cannot be composed itself.”). The lowest child does not of course. It looks like if this child is on 3rd level (starting from 0) will only be composed of its 2 immediate parents, but not from the one on base level, so you’ll have to thick it under Document Type Compositions. I hope it makes sense. I don’t have much time to experiment with it, as I have a very sharp deadline.

This raises another question: is it safe to use U7.2RC for a relative small production website (under 600 content items), using SQLCE rr should I go with 7.1?

Dec 04, 2014 @ 14:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jan

For production I would not run anything else but final releases. But it's hard to say since bugs will always be discovered no matter, which version is chosen.

But for a small and quick project I think I would go with 7.1.9 for now - Hopefully upgrading will be fairly easy once 7.2.0 is ready for prime time. I would consider using MSSQL for production though since CE SQL can be unreliable and in some cases it can loose data. There has been filed an issue about it on the issue tracker. All though it's when using IIS express and CE SQL in combination that seems to be the trigger I would not use CE SQL for production since I simply don't trust it. I think it's fine for prototyping etc. since it's relatively easy to migrate it to MSSQL instead.

You could argue that by choosing 7.2.0 RC you're able to benefit from all the cool new features etc. but it does not sound like you have the time to get into all the goodness it offers currently so I'd say go with what you know.

Hope this helps :)

/Jan

Dec 04, 2014 @ 15:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jan

Ok, nevermind me. Umbraco 7.2 has just been released this afternoon - So go with 7.2 final! :D

http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2014/12/4/umbraco-72-released

/Jan

Dec 04, 2014 @ 16:23
    Jon Frederiksen

Hi Jan

Thanks for a really straightforward and answer. It is a big help. 

And yes, I've just seen the good news. I think I'll take my chances with 7.2.:-)

Thank you very much.

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 15:48
    Gordon Saxby

I think I am getting this error - I am using 7.2 (release) obtained via Nuget.

I have the structure:

Base
    Base Content Page
    [various]
    With Banner Image
    Home
    Article
    [etc] 

Properties I have defined on "Base" and "Base Content Page" are not inherited by Home, Article, etc. However, they are on all DocTypes under "Base Content Page".

On "With Banner Image" it has the message "This content type is used as a parent and/or in a composition, and therefore cannot be composed itself." and lists all sub-DocTypes.

I can get round it by using Composition on all of the sub-DocTypes (e.g. Home, Article, etc) but that is far from ideal, or how I would expect it to work ... and how it used to work in V6 and before.

• Derrik 29 posts 98 karma points
    Feb 13, 2015 @ 18:12
    Derrik

I've just run into the exact issue mentioned by Gordon above. Is there a solution to this?

Edit: I found the solution. If anyone else comes across this, check out the issue tracker: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-5931

• mike 90 posts 258 karma points
    Mar 25, 2015 @ 00:16
    mike

I've got this in 7.2.2.

Before I go playing with database can someone confirm that child and parent nodes are meant to be able to have compositions set?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft