Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Dec 03, 2014 @ 21:45
    Craig100

Latest best practice for copying Umb 7 sites

Just wondered what the latest best practice is for copying a V7.x site and SQL DB from a dev machine to a dev laptop. With upgrading VS and SQL Server it seems to be a nightmare of YSODs even after deleting /temp/clientdependency/* and the contents of the three examine indexes and re-creating the SQL DB user. Is there anything else I've missed? Should I have to set the permissions for it to run under VS2013 on Win 7? A handy checklist would be good in the documentation ;)

And I haven't even mentioned GIT yet, lol

Cheers,

Craig

• jivan thapa 194 posts 681 karma points
    Dec 04, 2014 @ 08:24
    jivan thapa

Basically i used following two steps

1) move the files manually except '/App_data/* (umbraco will create those files when it restarts)

2) copy the DB using "https://sqlazuremw.codeplex.com/" tool.

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Dec 04, 2014 @ 08:49
    Craig100

Thanks but those posts are 4 years old now. I was meaning for V7, including a proper list of file and directory permissions if required. The permissions post that keeps coming up is way out of date now. XSLT!!?? And what about the controller and views folders, etc.

Cheers

Craig

• Steve Morgan 1348 posts 4457 karma points c-trib
    Dec 04, 2014 @ 17:49
    Steve Morgan

Hi Craig,

Are you talking about this page? http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/permissions

It's missing the Models and Controller folders as I believe these are not in the pure Umbraco download are added by devs / visual studio if you use MVC custom code. That said - most devs do create these so I think you're right it should be in the documentation but it's probably just an oversight.

The XSLT folder does still exist in the default build so is relevant to be there even if XSLT is very early Umbraco v4.

The best thing to do is to create a pull request on the documentation and let's get it right - that way it will be reviewed on the merge by the documentation team. I think there also should be a page on migrating / moving Umbraco instances as it's something a lot of Umbraco devs do a lot with a bit of trial and error.

The general gist is to copy everything - follow those permissions in the link above and then delete everything in the TEMP folder (to let Umbraco rebuild it's indexes when it starts up), backup and restore your DB, change your web.config to point at your new SQL DB and you should be good to go. 

Unfortunately Umbraco, like many other Open source projects, suffers in some areas of the documentation. There are people working hard to fix this but it's still maturing for V7.

Steve

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft