Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Howell 21 posts 42 karma points
    Dec 04, 2014 @ 01:57
    Daniel Howell

Umbraco 7 - Hide developer Icon (custom styles) in backend.

Hi all,

I have a fairly simple requirement. The end user needs access to a handful of "Data Types" in the developer section, but we would like to hide ALL the other developer tree nodes from them.

I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to do this, and I came up with this idea:

I can access a datatype directly via a URL: http://mysite/umbraco#/developer/datatype/edit/1034

It appears in context based on the section listed in the URL - so, if I change it to:

http://mysite/umbraco#/CONTENT/datatype/edit/1034

Then the datatype edit appears while the content tree is displayed.

So, I simply want to "hide" the developer icon from the navigation menu, so that they don't know it exists (but it will still allow me to access it via the base developer URL). Then I will create a custom control on the content dashboard which links off to the various datatypes that they can edit.

So, all I need to know is how to hide the developer icon - but I haven't been able to figure out how to hook my javascript into the backend, which would be somthing like this:

$(".traydeveloper").closest("li").hide();

Any ideas?

Dec 05, 2014 @ 00:25
    Daniel Howell

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

• Tobias Klika 101 posts 570 karma points c-trib
    Dec 05, 2014 @ 00:36
    Tobias Klika

What about creating a custom application/section which loads your desired DataTypes in the tree?

I am not that experienced with this kind of backoffice customization, but in case you can't hide specific nodes in the developer section you could try something like this!

Dec 05, 2014 @ 04:35
    Daniel Howell

Hey Tobias,

Yeh I had thought about that method - but I would have no idea how to pull the existing Data Types tree into a custom section, since this is a built in umbraco section.

I'm also not sure if it would function the same way, or will still require that the user has access to the Developer section in order for them to be able to edit the data types.

I am more interested in how to get my custom javascript to run and hide the icon instead as this seems like it should be much simpler...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft