Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bilal Haidar 144 posts 410 karma points
    Dec 05, 2014 @ 15:59
    Bilal Haidar

Create folders - upload files using backend

Hello,

How can I create folders and upload files to umbraco root folder using backend only? 

Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 05, 2014 @ 16:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bilal

You can probably use the API in order to achieve this - But could you tell us a bit more about your scenario? Why do you want to be able to use the backoffice to save images in the umbraco root folder? Is there any reason why the media section is not able to deal with your scenario?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Dec 05, 2014 @ 16:59
    Bilal Haidar

Hello,

I am still learning Umbraco and following CWS video series. I needed to create a folder Assets inside Umbraco root folder. So what's practice?

Thanks

Dec 05, 2014 @ 17:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bilal

If it's images for use in CSS then you can create an assets folder in the root folder where you can create folders for your css, system images and javascript files.

So in your root folder you can have this structure

Umbraco (rootfolder) - Assets - css - images - javascript

Then in your templates, you can reference your css and javascript files from here. And in your CSS you can reference the images in the images folder.

Content images should be uploaded and used using the Umbraco Media section and then be rendered out in your templates using macroes for instance.

The CWS video series you're referring too...are they on Youtube and do you have a link? I'm afraid they're a tad outdated since Warren Buckley made the CWS starter package for Umbraco 4.0, which is 5+ years old by now. So I think you should instead consider purchasing access to umbraco.tv and read this starter guide, which is about Umbraco 7 http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Creating-Basic-Site/

Hope this helps :)

/Jan

Dec 05, 2014 @ 20:42
    Bilal Haidar

Hi Jan,

True, the content seems old, but I am using MVC instead to convert what he says into MVC.

My main point was, assume I don't have access to the File System where the website is hosted, how can I create Folders like Assets on the File System using Umbraco backend? 

I noticed today the Media Tab in the backend. What is that? How to use it and what for?

Thanks a lot,
    Regards 

Dec 05, 2014 @ 21:33
    Bilal Haidar

Hi Jan,

Do you mean those videos? http://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/

Are there any other videos I have to pay for to get access?

Regards
    Bilal 

Dec 05, 2014 @ 21:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bilal

Ok, so it's not THAT old. Warren made an updated version of CWS based on MVC and Razor when Umbraco 6 was released. So the concepts should be the same.

Well, you get Umbraco for free but for Umbraco HQ to be able to make some money so they can afford a cores team etc. they offer training on and offline. So I think it's a small amount to pay for the videos. You can always unsubscribe after a month or two. For a single person account it's 19€ a month, which is a steal considering that you can learn all the basics and you're able to earn money from either selling Umbraco or get hired by a company that works with Umbraco.

In regards to the media section - That's where you upload files and images to be used on the website you're building. If you can't access the file-system on the site you're working on for some reason you can upload the images that you would for instance need to reference in your CSS as well.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 05, 2014 @ 21:54
    Bilal Haidar

Thanks a lot, that was really helpful.

I login to Umbraco TV website, I don't see any place to subscribe. I would like to subscribe for a month or two to get trained online on Umbraco. Can you send me the link to access please?

Many thanks,

Bilal

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 05, 2014 @ 22:03
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Bilal,

You can order the subscription here:http://umbraco.tv/plans-signup/

/Dennis

Dec 06, 2014 @ 19:10
    Bilal Haidar

Thanks Dennis.

regards,
    Bilal 

Dec 09, 2014 @ 21:10
    Bilal Haidar

Hello Jan,

I subscribed to one month on Umbraco TV. However, I didn't find anything new other than the videos I had access to using free account.

Am I missing something here?

Regards,
    Bilal 

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 09, 2014 @ 21:35
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Bilal.

When you subscribe to the Umbraco TV, you don´t get access to new videos, it´s the same videos, but the difference when you subscribe then you get access to see the video that´s requires a subscription. An example of a video that needs subscription is this one. http://umbraco.tv/videos/implementor/working-with-umbraco-data/razor-syntax/introduction-to-razor/

Hope this answers your question.

/Dennis

Dec 09, 2014 @ 22:11
    Bilal Haidar

Oh I see. Is there a way to download material now?

Dec 09, 2014 @ 22:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Bilal

Nope, not that I know of :) (In regards to downloading the content).

/Jan

Dec 09, 2014 @ 22:17
    Bilal Haidar

Ok, thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft