Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert 63 posts 282 karma points
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 11:04
    Robert

No images after upgrading to 7.2

Hello,

Today i've updated my Umbraco 7.1.4 to 7.2 but now there are no images displayed anymore. Also the rich text editors in the back-end show HTML code instead of just text.

I've read some issues but can't seem to find the correct solution, someone any idea what can cause this problem?

Regards, Robert

EDIT: I already republished the whole site and also saved the document type again.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 11:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

What steps did you take in order to do the upgrade?

If you go to the /media/ folder on the disk, does it then still exist?

In regards to the rich text editor missing - Have you double checked that all files have been copied over in the /umbraco and /umbraco_client folders? If you downloaded the .zip file with the 7.2 installation did you then remember to unblock it before unzipping it? If not then please try to unblock, unzip and upgrade again.

Also remember to clear the Umbraco cache by deleting the /App_data/TEMP/ClientDependency folder and incrementing the version number in the /config/ClientDependency.config file and then finally touch the web.config to recycle the app pool.

Hope some of these pointers help :)

/Jan

Dec 08, 2014 @ 11:25
    Robert

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your fast response.

I've overwritten the bin, Umbraco and Umbraco_client folder, but what do you mean whit unblocking the zip before unzipping? I'm sure i didn't did that :)

I now also deleted the cached files as you mentioned but what version should i put in the ClientDependency.config file? I will recycle the app pool on the server.

Regards, Robert

EDIT: the media files still exist, i can view them in Umbraco back-end and via FTP.

Dec 08, 2014 @ 11:31
    Robert

Some-how the richt text editor is back now :)

Dec 08, 2014 @ 11:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

Ok - When you download the zip file you need to unblock it by right clicking it and choose "properties" then there is a button in the window that pops up there is an "Unblock" option. If you're using the zip tool, which is build in on Windows then you need to do it. Can't remember if one also needs to do it using other unzipping software. But it won't hurt to do it.

If it's not done (When using Windows zip tool at least) it can mean that some files are not unzipped and hence missing if I remember correctly.

The version number in client dependency should just be incremented by 1 for instance if it's 192388 then just make it 192389 or simply just "1".

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 08, 2014 @ 12:58
    Robert

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the explanation.

I've unzipped it on a mac, but for sure i also checked it on windows and i don't have the option to unblock the file so i think under OSX it should be unzipped the right way.

Now i have in only 1 RTE images displayed in front of the website. That are the only images that will be displayed, the rest still has red crosses but they are in the Media folder and in Umbraco.

Regards, Robert

Dec 08, 2014 @ 13:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

Aaah, did not consider that you could be on a mac. Then it does not matter with the unblocking stuff :)

What is the rendered path to the missing images? Perhaps you need to change something in the way you render the images?

/Jan

Dec 08, 2014 @ 13:07
    Robert

Hi Jan,

The ones that i use in some parts of the website, columns etc. is: /ImageGen.ashx?image=/media/14249/2008-01-14-143812-kopie-2.jpg Now i'm thinking... I use imageGen, maybe that package isn't compatible with 7.2 yet?

Regards, Robert

Dec 08, 2014 @ 13:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

Ok then that's probably the issue - I think that it should be compatible since it's an independent component, which could work in any .NET application.

Can you see the picture if you reference the path like this /Umbraco/ImageGen.ashx?image=/media/14249/2008-01-14-143812-kopie-2.jpg - If not...can you then access the image by just calling it directly in your browser? Like /media/14249/2008-01-14-143812-kopie-2.jpg ?

/Jan

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 13:24
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

I have a similar problem. The Media library is empty also. My Content is missing files too, but the site still works (its not published only running on my machine). I probably didn't upgrade properly, not sure how to do this. I have unblocked the files, deleted  /App_data/TEMP/ClientDependency folder. I opened the ClientDependency.config file the version was set to "1" so I tried "2". You said about recycling the app pool and touching the web.config file, does that mean open it in Visual Studio and then close it again? 

Thanks.

Tony

Dec 08, 2014 @ 13:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

It's always a good idea to follow the general upgrade guidelines here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/general and on the download page for the specific Umbraco version there is also always an explanation on how to upgrade if there is something specific to be aware of in a particular release http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/720

In regards to recycling the app pool you just need to open the web.config and hit "Save". That's enough to recycle the app pool. You don't need to do it using visual studio, you can do it from any text or code-editor that you'd like :)

You can also do it in IIS or by simply running the iisreset command in a command prompt.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Oh, totally forgot to address the thing you write about the /media/ folder being empty...the above tricks won't fix that if the files are gone from the disk.

So it's nice to know what exact steps you took in order to do the upgrade? And what database are you running and is it a dedicated server, cloud hosting or shared hosting?

/Jan

Dec 08, 2014 @ 13:39
    Robert

Hi Jan,

it is indeed something with ImageGen, i get this error message when going directly to the image by path:

Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ImageGen' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Line 10: public void ProcessRequest(System.Web.HttpContext context)

Line 11: {

Line 12: ImageGen.ImageGenQueryStringParser parser = new ImageGen.ImageGenQueryStringParser();

Line 13: parser.Process(context);

Line 14: parser = null;

Regards, Robert

Dec 08, 2014 @ 13:42
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

The funny thing is that when I run the site, it runs as it should. But when I go into the back office to edit, the Media folder is empty and the Content is all wrong and missing too! This is just a simple site hosted locally on my own laptop as I learn how to use Umbraco, so I'm only using the basics! 

The only steps I used to upgrade were, I followed a link to Umbraco 7.2 and downloaded it. Then I unzipped it (since that I have unlocked it!) and ran the new starter site. That's it! So maybe my poor laptop is just confused!

Tony

ps I have just saved the web.config file now, but no changes.

Dec 08, 2014 @ 13:43
    Robert

Jan,

Wohooo! Re-installing imageGen does the trick! :D

Thank you for all the help and fast responses!

Kind regards, Robert

Dec 08, 2014 @ 13:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Robert

Very happy to hear that :)

So is the path to ImageGen still referenced without the /Umbraco/ part? Or is it now added after the re-installation? It has been placed differently between versions...but can't remember when it switched to what.

@Tony: Ok, but if you need to upgrade you will have to follow the instructions that I linked too in my previous reponse.

Perhaps it's a good idea to try and start over with a fresh installation of a version earlier than 7.2 and then try doing the upgrade process again? :)

/Jan

Dec 08, 2014 @ 13:53
    Robert

Hi Jan,

Still the same URL: /ImageGen.ashx?image=/media/14249/2008-01-14-143812-kopie-2.jpg I just uninstalled imageGen and re-instal it, i saw that a file from imageGen was in the Bin folder that i had to replace to upgrade from 7.1.4

Regards, Robert

Dec 08, 2014 @ 15:41
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

I'm going to have to scrap my project. The upgrade works but not in the middle of a project (that I can work out).

Thanks anyway.

Tony

• James Jackson-South 489 posts 1747 karma points c-trib
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 15:59
    James Jackson-South

Can ImageGen and ImageProcessor work in the same project? I've a funny feeling ImageProcessor will try to intercept the image and cause it to fail.

Dec 08, 2014 @ 16:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tony

Hmm, that's weird. Perhaps James has a point - But I'm thinking...if you render an image and do stuff with it using imagegen on the path, how would ImageProcessor try to intercept it? If it's not been setup for frontend use - I mean...I get that ImageProcessor is being used in the Umbraco core...but would that interfere with anything rendered on the frontend? Sorry if I misunderstand what you mean James :)

/Jan

Dec 08, 2014 @ 16:51
    Tony Groome

Hi Jan

I tried to follow the guide you sent earlier. So I copied the /bin and /Umbraco and /Umbraco_Client folders and dropped them into my existing project. Then I deleted the /App_data/TEMP/ClientDependancy folder and incremented the /config/Client/Dependancy.config file and launched & saved the web.config file. Great. But now the project is completely different. So fair enough I've given up trying to save it. But it looks like the old Umbraco, there is no tab for forms now and the other new tabs are missing now too. Just going from memory. Last week I managed to get the download to run, at the start it offers 3 example sites instead of 2. Now I'm back to the original 2.

Is there a way to completely start again? This has turned into one of those things I'm sorry I started! 

Thanks.

Tony

• James Jackson-South 489 posts 1747 karma points c-trib
    Dec 08, 2014 @ 17:36
    James Jackson-South

Jan, Umbraco really makes use of the http API and caching that comes with ImageProcessor.Web rather than the the core ImageProcessor library for the cropper.

The HttpModule that is installed with ImageProcessor.Web will attempt to intercept any image based urls, how it processes them depends on the installed version. I think it might be trying to intercept the ImageGen url and is returning a 404 result.

Tony, If you have a backup it might be an idea to start again with the upgrade. There's just too many variables to debug should something go wrong.

Dec 08, 2014 @ 17:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi James

Thanks for explaining - I have a better understanding know :)

@Tony Don't be sorry about it - I know right now it's probably frustrating etc. but hopefully we'll be able to get you on the right track again and then we'll all have learned something and hopefully be able to laugh at it afterwards. All beginning is tough up to some point where all the dots gets connected and you're having an epiphany and just get it.

Who knows, maybe we're not that far away from succeeding even though it feels like we're in very troubled water currently. But the good thing is that there is a lot of friendly guys and girls in here who would love to help out. So please keep us updated and we will try to guide as good as we can. Hang in there!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft