Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• aits 15 posts 46 karma points
    Dec 09, 2014 @ 12:15
    aits

content filter based on hosted domain

Hi,

Need a way to display different content based on the domain, the user has entered. e.g. if user request from www.example.com then it has to show a sign up page with different content while if user request from www.example.com.zp then it has to show different sign up page. But we want same nice url as (www.example.com/sign-up and www.example.com.zp/sign-up)

So is there any way to track the domain url and then based on which which can show different content for such requirements.

We are using Umbraco 7.0.4 and needs to host single instance of Umbraco.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 09, 2014 @ 12:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi aits and welcome to our :)

One simple way could be to create to sites in one Umbraco instance setting up the hostnames for each sites, like

• Content
      • Homepage (http://www.example.com/sign-up)
      • Homepage (http://www.example.com.zp/sign-up)

Then in IIS you need to setup a site, which has both bindings pointing to your Umbraco website.

Could this be a solution?

/Jan

Dec 09, 2014 @ 16:46
    aits

Hey Jan,

I need some more clarification on your approach. If we implement in this way don't we need to write whole pages twice for both domain.

This requirement is only needed for some pages, while other content will be same for both domain. eg if we have facebook link on site then first domain can link to global fan page while second can redirect to fan page of zp country, but youtube link can be same for both site.

So in this way we want a way that configure once and the normal user(site content writer) can chose settings appropriately. i.e. actually we want it as configurable

I am novice with Umbraco and have reached to IContentFinder but not able to dig further because of new domain.

Any further guidance will be helpful.

thanks

Dec 09, 2014 @ 17:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Aits

I'd say it depends.

So before returning to "solution mode" let's try to figure out the most suitable approach in your scenario instead. Because there are other ways to achieve it but based on the information from you initial post it sounded like something that needed to be done quick and easy for a single page site.

So...you need to be able to serve to sites on different domains. Some of the pages will contain the same content and some pages will differ from each language? How many editors are there and will the language be the same on both sites or will they differ? And will there be different content editors managing the different language versions?

The more you tell about the scenario the better suggestions we can provide :)

I like to have two trees since it makes it easy to extend with more language sites and the backoffice can be locked down for each country editor so they only see the tree they're supposed to handle.

Looking forward to learn more about your scenario.

/Jan

Dec 09, 2014 @ 18:01
    aits

Sure Jan,

• Yes some pages will be same and while some page or links(as facebook fan page link) may be different.

• language will be same for both domain only content will be different

• Only single instance of umbraco will be used so single editor(admin) must be able to edit at single location for both domain. And he will select some setting(that is where I am looking) to apply on that page(e.g. this page will be sign-up page of .com domain and has to opened from sign-up link) and based on that setting the newly added content should be shown on correct domain(i.e. .com domain) similarly there can be contact us page with map. SO if user comes from example.com site he/she will see the location of US office and if he comes from example.com.zp then he/she will location of zp country office.

So there can be two situation

• different pages for same url(but domain will be different but nice url will be same, so that SEO will work better).
      • or different content on same page (map in contact us page)
    • (more appropriate eg) The purpose is, site migration to another country, so there will different in Terms of condition, privacy policy due to local government.

Let me know if I can provide any other.

With Thanks,

Dec 09, 2014 @ 21:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi aits

Ok, then perhaps a better approach would be to use the Vorto package instead perhaps http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/vorto

This way it's possible to have one tree where one or more properties can have a different value, which seems like a better fit in your case.

Then you can make two different macroes for the form, which can the be placed in a rich text editor for instance.

Does that make sense to you?

/Jan

Dec 10, 2014 @ 11:26
    aits

Thanks Jan,

Ya it sounds good if I can relate the domain and language

I will try with this approach and let me get back to you with result or shortcomings.

thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft