Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Evans 86 posts 116 karma points
    Dec 09, 2014 @ 18:00
    Mark Evans

creating websites programatically

up to now, i have been working with umbraco for a single website, with the typical scenario of editors submitting the content.

however i am looking into a project that has a slightly different requirement whereby users will register with the site and have a website set up automatically for them which they can then edit.

of course when they login to the site they will only see their own content and media.

would this be feasible within an umbraco site?

if so has anyone done anything similar and could offer suggestions on how to approach it?

• jivan thapa 194 posts 681 karma points
    Dec 09, 2014 @ 21:22
    jivan thapa

Hi mark. Yes, it is. It depends on your requirements.

I had done similar project, where an admin can create a site by providing a site name, and a back-end username/pass for the site. It was not new installation, but it was creating a site under existing and changing the hostname.

-> First you should be comfortable with API http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/management-v6/services/

Here is, how i did.

1) create a sample site, that is going to work as a template for the rest of the site

2) When an admin wants to create a new umb site copy the sample site to a new site, and rename to the new site. -- You need to change the sample site content or let them to change it

3) Create a new media folder

4) Create a new user

5) Setup start content node #2, and start media node #3, for the user #4

6) Finally setup the hostname on the root content #2

7) You also need to setup IIS binding (Umbraco api cannot be used). this link may help you on IIS stuff. http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Blogs/12118/working-with-iis-7-programmetically-using-C-Sharp.aspx

Dec 10, 2014 @ 10:25
    Mark Evans

thanks

yes i would want it part of the existing installation, so there can be shared assets such as layouts and styling options ..

i will read up on the API and have a go at creating a new site as you describe firstly from a sign up form...

Dec 10, 2014 @ 12:38
    Mark Evans

i forgot to ask about multi lingual capabilities... would i set up a sample site for each language i wanted to support ? or could the language be set for a single sample site at the time its copied for a new user? 

• jivan thapa 194 posts 681 karma points
    Dec 10, 2014 @ 14:56
    jivan thapa

Yes, it is possible to setup the language for each site.

Dec 11, 2014 @ 10:36
    Mark Evans

thanks

but would i have a sample site for each language? say sample-english, sample-french etc and copy the appropriate site for the language chosen...

or just have the one sample site and when this is copied over for the user, there is a way to inject the language files at this point?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft