Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Linda 5 posts 25 karma points
    Dec 10, 2014 @ 07:34
    Linda

Database setup and Member save

I am new to Umbraco. I wonder where memers are stored? If I have a sql DB, is it possible the member/user stored in my DB? how to do it? Thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 10, 2014 @ 07:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Linda and welcome to our :)

Members are created in the Member section in the Umbraco backoffice and is saved in the cmsMember2MemberGroup table.

If you need to migrate members from another database into Umbraco you should consider using the CMSimport package for this. Be aware that it's a commercial package though but a single domain license is only 99€ and it's well spent if it saves you hours of work.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 11, 2014 @ 04:55
    Linda

Hi, Jan,

Thanks, I found the DB name. Can I see the tables in SQL management studio? I tried to access the DB in Management Studio but there is no table at all. I just started the development so I don't need to import anything. I need to create some other tables related the member table.

Is there any sample for the registration page?

Thanks,

Lihua

Dec 11, 2014 @ 05:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lihua

If you chose MSSQL during the installation process then yes you can see the tables using MSSQL server management client.

But since you're unsure about the database name I suspect you have installed Umbraco on SQL CE, which is the default embedded database option when installing. Unless you chose to "Customize" your installation and chose MSSQL as your database then it's running SQL CE.

You can use webmatrix to migrate the database from CE SQL to MSSQL. But you can also exten SQL CE. If you use Webmatrix you're able to see the database structure as well.

A starting pont for creating a registration page might be here http://24days.in/umbraco/2012/creating-a-login-form-with-umbraco-mvc-surfacecontroller/ - Be aware that the article is from 2012 but the process should still be the same since the underlying API's should still be the same.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 11, 2014 @ 06:16
    Linda

Jan,

Thanks for the quick help. I used MSSQL. WHen I logged in with the user name and password on my local machine, i don't see any table in the DB. Or I missed anything? During installation, I saw this:

Database Name:
    umbraco777

Database User Name:
    umbracouser777

Database Password:

Then I tried to connec to the db with the above user name and passowrd. But don't see the tables in the db. Under Tables, there is nothing.

Lihua

Dec 11, 2014 @ 11:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lihua

Could you show a screendump of what you're seeing when you're logged in please? :)

/Jan

Dec 12, 2014 @ 02:52
    Linda

Jan,

Here is the snapshot. Were should I look for the tables? Thanks.

• jivan thapa 194 posts 681 karma points
    Dec 12, 2014 @ 08:46
    jivan thapa

Hi, Linda,

Looks like you have used umbraco default 'SQL CE' database. As @Jan said, you should chose to "Customize" your installation and chose MSSQL.

This may be useful http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/53818-Convert-Umbraco-SQL-CE-database-to-SQL-Express or you may want to install again and remember to 'Customize' as @Jan said.

You can find SQL CE database inside ~/App_Data/Umbraco.sdf

Dec 12, 2014 @ 20:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Linda

Yup, there is no way that MSSQL is setup.

In order to migrate the database from CE SQL you can open up your website using webmatrix (Right click the folder containing Umbraco and choose "Open website in Webmatrix") and choose "Database" in the lower left corner. Then you can see a migrate option with a green icon in the top bar.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 13, 2014 @ 06:18
    Linda

Jivan and Jan,

Thanks so much for your help. When I installed it, i forgot to sellect customize the installation. Now I saw all the tables.

Have a good weekend.

Linda

Dec 13, 2014 @ 07:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Linda

Happy you managed to figure it out :) You're not the first person that got tricked by this when installing that's why I had my initial suspicion.

Happy umbracoing and please don't hesitate to ask further questions in here if you run into something you're in doubt about.

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft