Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jake williamson 207 posts 873 karma points
    Dec 10, 2014 @ 20:48
    jake williamson

Cannot log into Umbraco 7.1.8 when debug is set to false in the web.config

hey out there,

this is beginning to drive me mad...

the problem is the moment we remove the 'debug=true' from the compilation node of the web.config we can no longer login to umbraco.

this has happened before and we never found a solution:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/54741-Umbraco-fails-when-debug=false-due-to-DependencyHandleraxd

this time however, the version of umbraco is 7.1.8 and the error is different:

NetworkError: 400 Bad Request - http://www.mysite.com/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Authentication/PostLogin

in both examples, the site has been uploaded to a shared host and all permissions etc are set correctly. on both set ups, asp.net 4.5.1 has been installed and umbraco has been set up as 4.5 apps in visual studio.

the main thing here is that if we leave the 'debug=true' in, we can login to umbraco, publish nodes and view the site perfectly!

crazy eh?! we've tried everything we can find in the forum (mainly blowing away the contents of the 'app_data' folder) but nothing makes fixes this.

can anybody help?! i'm beginning to loose hair over this one...

cheers,

jake

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 10, 2014 @ 20:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jake

That's a really odd issue indeed - Have you been in touch with the hosting provider about the issue as well?

/Jan

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Dec 10, 2014 @ 21:01
    Sören Deger

Hi Jake,

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago and this issue was related with a windows security update.

Maybe this can help you:
    http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2014/10/16/getting-a-systemwebhttpapicontroller-error

Sören

Dec 10, 2014 @ 21:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Ah yes! Keep forgetting about that issue - Good catch Sören :)

/Jan

Dec 10, 2014 @ 21:09
    jake williamson

hi Sören,

thanks for the reply - we hit that one a couple of weeks back (http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/57404-windows-update-appears-to-break-SystemWebHttp-in-umbraco-below-v718!) and as this is a new project, i was fully prepared for that gotcha ;)

but i've just run through it all again and double checked the blog you mentioned and still no dice...

cheers,

jake

Dec 10, 2014 @ 21:12
    jake williamson

hi jan,

hosting company A has been very helpful (they're just down the road from us!) and have spent quite a bit of time with us trying to solve the issue.

hosting company B have thrown in back to us as an umbraco problem - which is kinda fair enough as they only provide the server, they don't support the code we put on it ;)

there's gotta be an answer to this! i can see other posts in the forum that are kinda similar but with no solution.

shared hosting eh?!

the hunt continues...

cheers,

jake

Dec 10, 2014 @ 21:16
    jake williamson

it's just very odd that the only time this has come up is on shared hosting...

all the other sites have been on dedicated boxes and they work fine - feels like there's something missing...

in a way, i'd prefer it didn't work at all rather than only working in debug mode - makes it so infuriatingly difficult to work out!

cheers,

jake

Dec 10, 2014 @ 21:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jake

Yes if the server setup is correct then it's only fair that they don't spend too much time on it. But it's fair to ask them if everything in their end is all good as well even though I'm aware that usually an error 400 can be a frontend issue.

But since it seems that it's on shared hosting you're seeing the issue I think it's fair to suspect the setup as well :)

But I'm afraid I'm currently clueless if the fix Sören linked to did not help.

Did you recycle the app pool (touch the web.config) after you made the changes?

How about the /app_data/logs file - Does it reveal any clues?

/Jan

Dec 10, 2014 @ 21:37
    jake williamson

hi jan,

just tried a completely fresh publish and upload of the site, blowing away the app_data folder contents prior to the upload.

once umbraco had ran up, i checked the logs. there's a bunch of info entries, the usual kinda thing you see when umbraco spins up. i then tried to log in, got the 'Login failed for user...' message and checked the logs again. no entries had been written.

mad!

as an added bonus, i've also found that js and css minification isn't working. the urls are being generated but they're resulting in a 404.

and it also appears the 'ImageProcessor' library is also not resizing images (i'm using the library on the site as well). they load just fine, but the querystring parameters that should resize the image are doing precisely nothing to the image dimensions...

how infuriating! to get the end of a project and not be able to put it live is making me loose my happy ;)

any other suggestions?!

cheers,

jake

Dec 10, 2014 @ 21:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jake

I feel your pain indeed - I'm afraid I'm out of ideas and the only advice I can think of right now is to perhaps double check that the list of system requirements for running Umbraco 7 is met by the hosting provider and that permissions have been setup correctly on the server http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/system-requirements

Oh well and then doing the usual stuff with clearing the Umbraco cache and rebuilding the examine indexes - But I don't think that's the culprit in this case I'm afraid :-/

If I should get an epiphany then I'll let you know.

/Jan

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 00:15
    Dan Diplo

Tried clearing your cookies? This often resolves weirdlogin problems.

Dec 11, 2014 @ 10:02
    jake williamson

hey dan,

yup, i've had some issues with that - mainly when i've been working on a v7 project, then switch to a v6. it seems to redirect to the login page with an error...

but that's not the case in this instance (i did delete all my cookies though, just to be on the safe side).

to be honest, i'm at a bit of a loss with this one. i desperately need to get these projects working and saying 'we can run it in debug mode with no image sizing' just doesn't cut it!

can't believe i'm the only one who's hit this problem - there must be someone else out there who uses shared hosting and has hit this?!?!

cheers,

jake

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 10:23
    Sören Deger

Hi Jake,

which browser do you use? If the error occurs in all browsers?

Try this:

Open your site in google chrome, open developer console (F12), go to "Resources"-Tab, go to "Cookies" and delete here the umbraco-Cookie of your related website:

It is only an attempt, but maybe could help.

Sören

Dec 11, 2014 @ 10:44
    jake williamson

hi sören,

given it a go - the results are the same in each browser i try:

enter image description here

aaarrrrgggg! now bald...

cheers,

jake

Dec 11, 2014 @ 10:49
    jake williamson

ok, this is a last ditch - was just looking at the site properties in my hosting panel:

Authentication x Allow Anonymous Access x Enable Integrated Windows Authentication 0 Enable Basic Authentication

x = a checked checkbox, 0 an unchecked checkbox.

could it be the 'Enable Integrated Windows Authentication' that's screwing things up?

cheers,

jake

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 16:32
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You should not focus on the login problem but on the actual error you're seeing there. For some reason you're getting a 400 Bad Request error and also your HttpHandlers don't seem to work.

You might want to try the following: http://stackoverflow.com/a/12521656/5018
    (both this post plus the removal of WebDav in the other post)

You might also benefit from adding the following to system.webServer/handlers in your web.config:

<remove name="ExtensionlessUrlHandler-ISAPI-4.0_32bit" />
      <remove name="ExtensionlessUrlHandler-ISAPI-4.0_64bit" />
      <remove name="ExtensionlessUrlHandler-Integrated-4.0" />
      <add name="ExtensionlessUrlHandler-ISAPI-4.0_32bit" path="*." verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG,PUT,DELETE,PATCH,OPTIONS" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32" responseBufferLimit="0" />
      <add name="ExtensionlessUrlHandler-ISAPI-4.0_64bit" path="*." verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG,PUT,DELETE,PATCH,OPTIONS" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness64" responseBufferLimit="0" />
      <add name="ExtensionlessUrlHandler-Integrated-4.0" path="*." verb="GET,HEAD,POST,DEBUG,PUT,DELETE,PATCH,OPTIONS" type="System.Web.Handlers.TransferRequestHandler" preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv4.0" />

Curious to know if either one of those help.

Dec 15, 2014 @ 23:35
    jake williamson

thanks for the reply sebastiaan, appreciate it.

i've given your suggestion and a number of others a go and no dice. spent a day on this now and still no closer to a fix.

one thing i did try is to upload a bog standard out of the box default mvc4 project as created by visual studio 2013 to the server. i installed the asp.net optimisation stuff and it worked just fine meaning the lack of minified css and js is def something to do with how i've set up the umrbaco site.

i then installed 'ImageProcessor' (using https://www.nuget.org/packages/ImageProcessor.Web.Config/). interestingly, this fails on the server although it works just fine locally.

so i've managed to prove that the shared host i'm uploading to will handle the minification stuff, doesn't seem to like 'ImageProcessor' and refuses to do either the minification or 'ImageProcessor' when i upload my umbraco site!

i'm trying to find another host that i can test some of this for free, it maybe an idea to sign up to a free azure hosting account to see if there really is something wrong with my site(s) or it is down to the server config of my shared host?

maddening to say the least ;)

thanks for all the suggestions, if i do hit on a fix i'll let ya know.

cheers,

jake

Dec 15, 2014 @ 23:50
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Wow, sounds super weird! Azure Websites gives you at least 10 free sites to try stuff out so definitely give that a spin, that should work. Look forward to hearing how it goes!

Dec 15, 2014 @ 23:51
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Ps. We just released 7.2.1, shouldn't make any difference but you should upgrade nonetheless. http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/721

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft