Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ramya 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 10:10
    Ramya

Moving Static pages from a ASP.Net website to Umbraco

Hi,

I am a newbie to Umbraco CMS. I am working on a website project for a prospective client.The website is basically in asp.net developed in Visual Studio 2012. The website has many static pages and ecommerce pages developed in aspx.

Currently we have a new requirement from them to separate out the ecommerce section from the static section and move the static content into Umbraco CMS retaining the current structure.

They also want the  navigation to be controlled via Umbraco, so new sections and pages can be added by any authorized user but retain control over the  ecommerce pages.

Can anyone please advise on what steps should i follow to achieve the same starting right from installation of Umbraco to development?

Will the static pages moved to Umbarco be in a different location or in the same website domain? will the website structure be altered?

will the static pages moved to Umbarco and other non umbraco pages remain in the same website?

Will it affect the navigation to the static pages from the other ecommerce pages within website when moved to Umbraco?

Thanks

Ramya

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Dec 11, 2014 @ 10:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ramya and welcome to our :)

In order to migrate the content from your current solution into Umbraco the CMSImport package may be of use since it allows you to map content from other datasources into Umbraco.

You should be able to meet the current page setup that you're using now for the content part. But if for some reason you can't then using the 301 url tracker package makes it possible to ensure that visits to an old url is captured and redirected to the new path.

Pages if it's configured to respond from the same domain.

In the Web.Config of Umbraco it's possible to setup reservedUrls or reservedPaths, which makes sure that Umbraco does not try to map a url to a page requested from the /e-commerce/ folder for instance.

Even though this post is 4 years old I think there is still some good gains in it, which you could perhaps benefit from as well http://thecogworks.co.uk/blog/posts/2010/november/migrating-to-umbraco-via-cms-import/

I hope these answers help a bit.

• Ramya 2 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 15, 2014 @ 10:48
    Ramya

Thanks for the feedback.

But i have a question. I need to move only static pages from my website to umbraco. How is this possible to move a portion of website to umbraco?

Will it affect the deployment and publishing of files or the configuration of the site?

Will there be any change in the course of publishing the files.

Thanks

Ramya

• Andy Butland 422 posts 2334 karma points MVP 4x hq c-trib
    Dec 15, 2014 @ 14:18
    Andy Butland

You may have already considered this, but the easiest means is probably to treat them as two separate websites - one e-commerce site run on your existing platform, and one CMS based site using Umbraco for your currently static pages.  One or other can be hosted on a sub-domain.

If that's feasible then your question is really just around getting started building and Umbraco website around your static templates.  Suggest have a read of this very recent post on the Umbraco advent calendar to get you started.

Andy

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft